Campus carry

Letter to the Editor: Cocks not Glocks helps address campus carry

At the risk of henceforth being known as the campus dildo girl, I am inviting all Badgers to attend the Bonerfide Penis Arts Festival. The festival is being organized with Cocks Not Glocks UW-Madison in response to a visit by the pro-gun activist Katie Pavlich. 

As a student concerned about gun violence, especially when a campus carry bill is on the verge of passing (allowing someone to carry a firearm into classrooms, dormitories or Camp Randall), Pavlich’s invitation to spread misinformation has very real risks. 

For example, Pavlich encourages women to carry firearms to prevent sexual assault, despite overwhelming data confirming that women are more likely to have their guns taken and used against them. Encouraging our students and faculty to purchase guns at a time when weapons could already surge into our campus is both horrific and irresponsible. 

Of course, it is not just my own opinion, but also the democratic majority of the student body whose opinion truly matters. Our campus is united in its opposition to a campus carry bill, and thousands of students signed a petition to oppose the legislation in the 2016-2017 academic year. Such an incredible number of UW parents and alumni called Speaker Vos to raise concern that he was forced to abandon it in the last session. With such incredible opposition towards campus carry, why has Pavlich been invited to our campus? There are two.

First, the bill to bring guns onto campus has been revived, hidden inside a more popular piece of pro-gun legislation that removes the permitting requirement for concealed carry of weapons. Several wealthy and powerful groups such as the NRA support this legislation, which makes it unusual that Pavlich’s invitation comes along with a $10,000 infusion of funds for the student organization that invited her. Her lecture, therefore, can only been seen as either a shameless play to manipulate students into supporting a bill that may get them killed or a transparent effort to make our campus appear divided.

Our campus will not be divided, so we must react. What better way to celebrate our togetherness than with humor? Wisconsin state statute chapter 944 forbids "drawing or writing lewd, obscene, or indecent materials in a public place.” Given the legislature’s recent interest in free speech, we thought we would take up two issues at once. The event will be a safe and welcoming space to protest by creating obscene art as well as the chance to be rewarded with a free sex toy from Cocks Not Glocks organizers.

For those self-declared activists, students concerned about the potential of guns on campus or just women anywhere who resent the propaganda that women should learn to carry firearms rather than that men should learn not to rape, I earnestly ask you to join us, Cocks Not Glocks, on Tuesday, Oct. 10 at 6 p.m. outside the Psychology building to protest both the absurdity of Katie Pavlich’s divisive invitation while simultaneously exercising your freedom of expression and freedom to protest.

What are your thoughts on campus carry? Please send any questions, comments or concerns to opinion@dailycardinal.com.