Saturday, September 07, 2024

The five most wanted at UW

When Bo Ryan told Boo that he needed to be more aggressive on the glass, he did not mean with his girlfriend's face. Wade was arrested in February for allegedly choking his girlfriend and forcing her in front of the mirror, asking her if she actually thought she could beat him. Apparently not. Wade was suspended for two games, oddly enough right after UW's, ahem, choke job against Northwestern. Thus, Wade wins the Most Wanted Award for all UW athletes, being wanted by the police and the team. 

Since the freshman wideout/ returner could not beat the opposition's special teams coverage or secondary on the field, he decided to beat something off it: his girlfriend. Mason was prolific in that category, beating his girlfriend three times with only two arrests. But Mason pleaded himself into the First-time Offenders Program, meaning that, should he not drop the ball on this one, his record will be wiped clean. Once again, Mason is a fine example that Coach Alvarez recruits only the most elusive of players. 

While the running back corps failed to produce a 1,000-yard rusher for the first time since 1993, Smith did continue in the fine footsteps of Badger backs, Brent Moss, Michael Bennett and Anthony Davis in one category: violence toward women. Smith was arrested in February for second-degree sexual assault, a crime punishable in the Athletics Department with five, count them, FIVE days of suspension from spring practices. Whew, that's harsh! All athletes have been quaking in fear ever since. 

The NCAA selection committee's treatment of the Badgers' basketball team was the equivalent of a regrettable drunken hookup. Screwed one night, forgotten the next. The Badgers' national ranking of 10th, combined with their Big Ten Tournament title, should have garnered a higher seeding than sixth. But the committee, headed by Iowa's athletic director, refused to allow the winner of his own conference's tournament to factor into their choice. Just goes to show you that Iowans, while tools, are not the sharpest ones in the shed. 

Their crime is aiding and abetting an assault ... on Jim Sorgi. Sorgi was knocked out of two games this season. And even when Sorgi was healthy and on the field, he was still on his back. Sacked eight times against UNLV. Sacked six times in the Music City Bowl. Overall, the Badgers' line gave up the second-most sacks in the Big Ten with 37. Hopefully the prosecution treats them like Mason and puts their 37 offenses into one plea bargain into the First-Time Offenders Program. 

men's hockey forward Ryan MacMurchy's DWI while on a moped.