Saturday, October 05, 2024

Food Connoisseurs: Larry Johnson

Editors note: This week kicks off Food's weekly profile of a Madisonian working in the food industry, whether a bartender, chef or restaurant owner. If you would like to be profiled or know anyone who would, send an e-mail to food@dailycardinal.com. Enjoy! 

Since 1972, the Dane County Farmers' Market has offered the best in locally-produced goods. Many consider the market one of Madison's definitive experiences, along with Halloween and Badger football games.  

Larry Johnson, the market manager, directs what is the largest producer-only farmers market in the nation. Each Saturday from April through November, more than 20,000 Madisonians peruse Capitol Square.  

Johnson noted this year's particularly sweet melons, sweet corn and more than 15 different meats??-from basic beef to ostrich and emu-as well as traditional favorites like homemade baked goods. With a break from early morning football games, a Saturday morning at the market must be experienced: \It's great food and good people watching,"" said Johnson, ""and it's cheap!\