Monday, September 16, 2024

Prospective governor’s campaign green around the gills

The Wisconsin Democracy Campaign initially criticized U.S. Rep. Mark Green, R-Green Bay, last week for irregularities in campaign funding but later turned their criticism against the state elections board. 

In a release last week, the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign, a non-partisan watchdog group, questioned Green's transfer of money from his congressional campaign to his Wisconsin gubernatorial campaign.  

The Green campaign failed to give occupational and employer information of a selection of donors, whose total amount was over $387,000, according to the WDC.  

Mike McCabe, executive director of the WDC, explained that this amount is part of a $1.3 million conversion from Green's congressional account to his gubernatorial account, a move which is allowed under a provision in state law. 

McCabe said lack of enforcement by the Wisconsin State Elections Board caused the reporting irregularity.  

The WDC pointed out that state campaign finance law requires candidates to identify employment information on donors who give them more than $100 in a year.  

Mark Graul, campaign manager of Green for Wisconsin, denied the Green campaign of any wrongdoing. 

'The State Elections Board instructed us not to reveal this information because the donations the conversion are already reported for his congressional campaign,' Graul said. 

McCabe clarified Monday that the Elections Board immediately reversed its decision on the disclosure of information in response to the WDC press release. He said the Green campaign in turn sent the requested employer and occupational information to the Elections Board and the WDC.  

McCabe said that the real problem in this situation was the Elections Board, calling members 'party hacks,' referring to the political make-up of the organization. 

McCabe said the state Legislature was in the process of reforming the board, with Senate Bill 1 passing last week with a 28 to 5 majority. The bill will go to the Assembly and has the support of Gov. Doyle.  

'The new bill will reform the Elections Board into a non-partisan, independent group with much-needed ability to prosecute campaign irregularities,' said McCabe. 'The Board has not been an effective enforcer in the past.'