Sunday, October 06, 2024

Neighborhood associations a source of help for students

Students living in off-campus residences have an outlet in their local neighborhood association for issues they may hold with the City of Madison. 

'We are here for residents. Sometimes people, especially students, don't know where to turn when there is a policy issue they are concerned about. They can certainly call their alderperson,' said Jeff Erlanger, president of the State-Langdon Neighborhood Association. 'In some cases, it may actually be better to go to the neighborhood association, because then you will have a group behind you.' 

Jule Stroick, neighborhood planner for the City of Madison, described the associations as 'building blocks for the city.' 

'Neighborhood associations look at the political process, what things need to be improved and how they can advocate to the city ?? to have resources,' Stroick said 

According to Stroick, the associations address a variety of local issues, including when developers are looking to build on neighborhood land. It is required by city law that developers propose their projects to the neighborhood 30 days before submitting their application to the city.  

'This provides an opportunity for the neighborhood associations to really voice what they do or don't like about the development,' Stroick said.  

Erlanger identified the redevelopment of University Square as an upcoming issue for the State-Langdon Association.  

'People are disappointed that we may lose the neighborhood's only true movie theater,' Erlanger said. 

Madison is divided into over 120 neighborhood associations. While most municipalities define association borders based on geography, Madison is unique in allowing residents to determine boundaries themselves. 

'It really comes down to that sense of community,' Stroick said. '[Boundaries] are drawn by the grassroots residents that live in that area.' 

Associations for student-dense areas include Capitol Neighborhoods, South Campus Property Owners Association and State-Langdon Neighborhood Association. 

The associations are careful to remain inclusive for all residents in their area. Betty Thompson, a member of the South Campus Property Owners Association, highlighted that her organization does not place one demographic over another. 

'We're not a student organization, we're a neighborhood organization. And if there's something we can do to help the neighborhood, we're willing to try and do it,' Thompson said. 

It is this help neighborhood associations offer that places them firmly in the political process of Madison. 

'Are they part of that political process and do they carry weight? Yes, they do,' Stroick said. 'They are part of that equation that policymakers listen to.'