Saturday, September 07, 2024

State Street will remain open during construction

The State Street Design Project Oversight Committee laid out its plans for new benches, lights, paved walkways and bike racks for the 300 to 400 blocks of State Street Thursday evening. 

Project engineer Steve Ghode said access to all State Street businesses was to remain open throughout the renovation process, maintaining the same amount of access as the 100 and 200 blocks' renovation earlier this year. 

Ghode maintained he wants the renovations to make a more pleasant pedestrian walkway'indicating that areas for public art, granite streetscape forms, planters and maps. He emphasized the city is interested in maintaining the street's green space and tree growth.  

'The challenge with streetscape items is to maintain a balance for competing interests, such as pedestrian access, bike racks, businesses, streetlights, trees and cafes,' he said. 

Ghode said new kiosks will be installed for information notices and advertisements, noting there will be two per block instead of the current one per block.  

City planner, Arche Nicolette, discussed the large increase in bike racks. He noted there is a proposed total of 55 new bike racks from the current 23 racks on the 300 block, and 34 from the 29 racks on the 400 block. He also said more bike racks will be placed at a later date. 

'We hope to create more bike racks when we renovate the Gilman [Street] corner at a later phase,' Nicolette said. 

Ghode acknowledged income- loss concerns among businesses, saying most of them accepted the inevitability and necessity of the renovations, and monthly meetings with business owners will be held to address concerns. 

City of Madison planner Bill Fruhling indicated businesses were fairly content with the contractor. 

'There has been ample notice when utilities were affected and cooperation between property owners and contractors,' he said.  

Fruhling agreed with Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, that businesses between the 100 and 200 block renovations were satisfied, which gave little reason for the other businesses to worry. 

Verveer indicated that the City Council suspended vending licensing fees to help offset the costs of income loss for street cafes.  

'We certainly try to balance everyone's interests,' Verveer said. 'People seem pretty satisfied.' 

The 300-to-400-block renovation tentatively begins in April 2006, with the intent of being completed October 2006. A City Council public meeting will be held Jan. 3 to address outstanding issues.