Monday, September 16, 2024

University Square businesses hoping to cope with relocation

Plans for a $140 million renovation of University Square have not hindered some of students' favorite restaurants that must leave. Several of the businesses have plans to relocate and are optimistic about the change. 

The Caspian Caf??, 17 University Square, has been a staple for students for years. Mohila and Mir Nateghi, the managers, said they are excited about moving to 610 University Ave.  

'The new facility will be beautiful. We should get a lot more traffic,' Mohila said. 'Business has been slower because of the [University Square] change.' 

The menu at the Caspian Caf?? features Mediterranean and Persian fare. The restaurant serves items such as falafel, curry cauliflower stew and Persian meatballs.  

Caroline Langendorfer, a UW-Madison graduate student, said she particularly likes the restaurant's lunch specials, each costing about $5 to $6.  

'The bread is delicious,' Langendorfer said. 'I'm glad that they will still be close.'  

Mohila said the new location will 'hopefully' open Dec. 15, when the University Square location will close. 

The owners of Baker's Too, 12 University Square, have already opened a new facility at 317 N. Bassett St., in the Aberdeen Apartments called the Copper Gable Caf??, according to co-owner Dar Phillips.  

The Copper Gable is a living-room-style caf?? with a fireplace and serves cookies, muffins and scones for approximately $2. Deb Henry, Phillips' partner at Copper Gable, said that student traffic is not as high as at their old location. She said the traffic level should increase after Baker's Too closes down May 31. 

Coreana, 35 University Square, serves Korean specialties like chicken bul go gi, a sweet and spicy barbecue stir-fry. The owner, James Lee, said that he likes to maintain a casual atmosphere with affordable prices. 

Lee said he was optimistic about his business' move.  

'Rent on campus is expensive,' he said. 'But the high volume of students is good for business.' 

Lee said Coreana will likely move around spring break, though he said it's 'difficult to compete [for real estate] with Burger King and Starbucks.' 

Other University Square restaurants affected are Paisan's, Curry 'N Hurry, Beijing Restaurant and Rising Sons Deli. With Coreana, Baker's Too and Caspian Caf?? optimistic about plans to move, it seems business will carry on as usual.