Friday, September 20, 2024

Wisconsin not only team to lose key players

The WCHA lost 18 underclassmen to early departures this offseason, as well as a solid group of seniors. The departures included the last two Hobey Baker Award winners and many names that have been synonymous with the WCHA in recent years, including Minnesota's Ryan Potulny and Phil Kessel, Wisconsin's Robbie Earl and Joe Pavelski, Denver's Matt Carle and Paul Stastny, North Dakota's Drew Stafford and Jordan Parise, and Colorado College's Brett Sterling and Marty Sertich.  

Still, the conference has an abundance of talented players ready to fill the void this season. The following are not necessarily the top five players in the conference, as noted by the omissions of Wisconsin's Brian Elliott, Minnesota's Eric Johnson and Denver's Ryan Dingle. Instead, these players are the ones whose performances could have the biggest effect on the success of their respective teams. 

Tyler Hirsch, Minnesota (F):  

All eyes will be on Johnson, a freshman defenseman and the No. 1 overall pick in June's NHL draft, but it could be Minnesota's offense that makes or breaks the season. The Gophers lost tons of offensive firepower in forwards Potulny, Kessel and Danny Irmen, but a successful season from Hirsch could go a long way in easing those offensive concerns. Hirsch was the Gophers' leading scorer in 2004-05, when he tallied 11 goals and 33 assists for 44 points. The senior forward used a medical redshirt last season to take care of personal matters, and he will look to get back on track this year. The Gophers will rely on a bevy of youngsters offensively, so it is important that Hirsch returns to his 2004 form and provides a veteran presence. 

Bobby Goepfert, St. Cloud State (G):  

As young and inexperienced as the WCHA is this season, the conference race should be up for grabs. If Goepfert can continue to build on his solid 2005-06 effort with a dominant performance this year, the Huskies, picked by the coaches to finish fifth, could be a darkhorse contender. Goepfert earned first team All-WCHA honors last season when he posted a 2.20 GAA and .924 save percentage. If the Huskies can find enough offense to go with their solid goaltending, they could be dangerous. 

T.J. Oshie, North Dakota (F):  

North Dakota will be among the youngest teams in the nation this season, sporting 18 freshmen and sophomores on its 25 man roster. But considering Oshie is one of those sophomores, things may not be as bad as they sound. Oshie, ranked as the St. Louis Blues' second best prospect by hockeyfutures.com (behind Minnesota's Johnson), recorded 24 goals and 21 assists for 45 points last season, and is the top returning scorer in the WCHA. He will team with fellow sophomore Jonathan Toews to form one of the best one-two scoring punches in the conference. 

Jonathan Toews, North Dakota (F):  

Already having been hit hard by early departures to the pro ranks, things were starting to look bleak for the Fighting Sioux when Toews was selected third overall by Chicago in the NHL draft. Toews, however, decided to return to school, instantly transforming UND into a conference, and possibly national, title contender. He put up 39 points on 22 goals and 17 assists last season, and was one of three players to receive votes for WCHA Player of the Year in the preseason coaches poll. Wisconsin's Elliott led the way with six votes while Toews and Oshie each pulled in two votes. 

Jack Skille, Wisconsin (F):  

Elliott might well be the nation's best player, but he can't win games by himself. The Badgers lost their top five scorers from a year ago, and if they hope to repeat, Skille will have to become a top notch scorer. As a freshman, Skille put up 13 goals, eight assists and 21 points in 2005, but for UW to be a serious national title contender, he will likely have to put up even bigger numbers this season.  

With so many new faces around the WCHA, this season should be one of excitement and surprises. There is still some uncertainty around the league, but there is no doubt that each team will compete at a high level for the championship title.