Friday, September 20, 2024

Bucky Badger on the cusp of mascot supremacy, needs votes

Though near the top of the overall standings, Bucky Badger could be eliminated from Capital One's 2006 Mascot Challenge if he does not win this week. School officials are urging students and other Bucky supporters to vote for him every day at capitalonebowl.com. 

This is the fifth year Capitol One has held a nationwide competition to determine the country's best mascot. 

Bucky (5-5 overall) is facing off against North Carolina State's Mr. Wuf this week, and a win would make Buckingham more likely to move on to the second round. 

Bucky currently leads his lupine opponent by a 2,000-vote margin. 

Bucky stands at 6'9'' and weighs in at 250 pounds and holds a significant size and reach advantage over the 6' Wuf, capitalonebowl.com reported. 

The Buckster is carrying momentum following a strong win last week in which he defeated Auburn's Aubie by nearly 5,000 votes. 

With the Wisconsin Badgers likely on their way to the Capital One Bowl, a Bucky victory would provide a fitting accompaniment for the trip to Orlando. 

Bucky, never one to back down from a challenge, expressed confidence and optimism in an interview with capitalonebowl.com. 

""[Other mascots] know there is no messing with Bucky,"" he said. ""Bottom line, I fear no mascot or man.""