Friday, September 20, 2024

UW gets upset win, three-point weekend over SCSU

Emotions ran high last weekend at the Kohl Center, as the Wisconsin men's hockey team (11-11-2 WCHA, 14-15-3 overall) split its weekend series against No. 4 St. Cloud State (12-6-6 18-6-6). UW pulled out a surprising 3-1 win in Friday's matchup and were able to battle back several times and skate to a 2-2 tie in Saturday's affair.  

Friday's game was full of energy and heart, as UW pulled out to an early 2-0 lead at the end of the first period.  

Sophomore forward Jack Skille started off the period by scoring off a one-timer from senior forward Andy Brandt at the 9:18 mark. The puck sliced into the top shelf after deflecting off the right post. A few minutes later, senior captain Andrew Joudrey found the back of the net on a power play for his fifth goal of the season off a diagonal pass from senior forward Ross Carlson.  

UW jumped out to a lead mainly because of SCSU's lack of energy and focus. The Huskies came out flat, something that has become customary for them at the Kohl Center, and the Badgers took complete advantage. 

However, the momentum UW had quickly disappeared in the second period, when Huskies senior forward Nate Dey scored a shorthanded goal with 11:58 remaining. UW again had multiple chances, but was unable to capitalize. The period came to an end with a five-minute major and game misconduct for the Huskies' Aaron Brocklehurst, a penalty that would prove costly.  

With just over two minutes gone in the third, Joudrey once again found the net for his second powerplay goal of the night off a pass from freshman forward Michael Davies. Both of Joudrey's goals were remarkably similar, a true testament of UW's ability to adapt to and exploit the opposition's penalty kill.  

""This time of year, everybody knows how to play their own system, they're not going to get a lot in five-on-five,"" head coach Mike Eaves said. ""So to be effective on the special teams is a big thing this time of year and then leading into the playoffs."" 

The Huskies were unable to muster any further comeback, and UW ran away with the 3-1 win.  

Saturday's game started off with at least the same energy and emotion, if not more. As the Badger faithful said farewell to this year's senior class, the Badgers again took the ice against St. Cloud State. 

After a scoreless first period, St. Cloud struck first in the second, as Andreas Nodl scored off a pass from Andrew Gordon just over six minutes into the frame. As the Badgers continued to battle back without anything to show for it, it seemed as if the Huskies would take a 1-0 lead into the third.  

That changed, however, with just under four seconds left in the period. Sophomore forward Ben Street put back a rebound from a shot by Skille. Street shot the puck over SCSU goalie Bobby Goepfert, even though he was skating away from the net and was on one skate.  

As the third period started, UW controlled most of the momentum, but that control was shortlived. The Huskies capitalized on a power play early in the period, as Justin Fletcher scored during a four-on-three advantage. With that one shot, it seemed the Badgers were doomed to again split another series. But with just over four minutes to play, Joudrey once again scored on another power play, marking his seventh of the season and third power-play goal of the series. It seemed fitting for Joudrey to have such an impact during senior's weekend.  

Neither UW nor SCSU were able to score again, as both teams skated to a 2-2 tie. However, the three-point weekend was of great help for UW, as it now sits alone in sixth place in conference play. The Badgers are only two points out of fourth and three points out of third. Wisconsin looks to continue the momentum next weekend at Michigan Tech. 

""We need to keep winning and keep the ball going here,"" senior defenseman Jeff Likens said. ""The guys, we don't really talk about ‘Oh we have to get these two points' or anything like that. It's playoff time now and we are ready to go.""