Thursday, September 19, 2024

Walker compromises on recycling mandate

Gov. Scott Walker backed down from his budget proposal to eliminate community recycling requirements after it received criticism from lawmakers on both sides of the aisle.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported instead of eliminating the mandate in order to save money, the Walker administration is urging municipalities to merge their garbage collection services.

After Walker laid out the original proposal, a handful of Republican lawmakers, including Joint Finance Committee co-chair state Rep. Robin Vos, R-Rochester, state Sen. Robert Cowles, R-Green Bay, and state Rep. John Nygren, R-Marinette, said they were concerned about how it would affect their constituents.

""After meeting with my friends and neighbors back home, I have heard many concerns with the Governor's proposed elimination of funding for recycling programs,"" Nygren said in a statement. ""I believe it is important to restore this funding and require local governments to still provide this vital service to its taxpayers.""

Although funding will still be severely cut to local recycling programs even with Walker's compromise, the Department of Natural Resources is exploring plans that would maintain some level of support for the services.