Sunday, October 06, 2024

"Born in Flames" comes to Madison

The “Born in Flames” Tour featuring Invincible and Tamar-Kali comes to Madison Saturday, March 10, to celebrate women in music.

The Multicultural Student Coalition and The Not Enough Mics Collaborative, a network of womyn-identified artists that was created one year ago at UW—Madison will be presenting the event. The tour includes a film screening and a music and activism workshop led by Invincible and Tamar-kali, as well as a concert at The Sett in Union South at 8 p.m.

If you have yet to hear either of these artists, your ears have been seriously deprived. Tamar-kali is a punk-rock singer from Brooklyn, N.Y. who brings both powerful vocals and conscious lyrics to her music. Her range includes everything from acoustic to punk rock performances.

Invincible (Ilana Weaver), who performed at Union South last year, is a female rapper and activist from Detroit, Mich. who is unmatched in nearly all aspects of her craft. From her upbeat energy to her fiery lyrics, this Israeli-born emcee has been perfecting her niche in the hip-hop industry for the past decade and a half while turning down countless record-label deals in order to maintain complete control of her art.

Aside from creating and performing music, Invincible also directed a film called “Revival” about hip-hop pioneer Roxanne Shante and Philadelphia emcee Bahamadia and how they first got involved in the music industry. A screening of the film will take place at Grainger Hall, Room 1100 and will be followed by a Q&A and activism workshop with both Invincible and Tamar-kali.