Thursday, September 19, 2024

Supreme Court may hear voter ID appeal

The recently suspended voter ID law may be reinstated if the Wisconsin Supreme Court decides to hear a challenge to the ruling and determines the law is constitutional.

The Second and Fourth District Appeals Courts asked the Supreme Court Wednesday to hear an appeal filed by the Wisconsin Department of Justice in response to the rulings made earlier this month by Dane County Circuit Judges Richard Niess and David Flanagan that the law unconstitutionally infringes on the right to vote.

The bill, which would require constituents to present a state-issued ID card, valid driver’s license, U.S. passport, a student ID or a military ID at the polls in order to vote, was passed and implemented last November.

Voces de la Frontera, and the League of Women Voters then filed lawsuits on the grounds the Voter ID bill disenfranchises minorities, the poor, and those who lack proper identification.  

Supporters of the bill say the law is necessary to prevent voter fraud.

The appeal comes days before the upcoming presidential primaries and a month before expected recall elections against Gov. Scott Walker and four other Republicans for May 8 and June 5.  

If the Wisconsin Supreme Court hears the case, it is possible the Voter ID bill could be reinstated in time for the April 3 election.

UW-Madison Professor of Public Affairs Donald Moynihan said it is unlikely the court will make a decision in time for Tuesday’s presidential primary, but did not rule out the possibility of a decision before the recall elections.

“I think it’s possible for them to make a judgment before the recall election; it’s a separate question whether jurisdiction will be ready to actually implement the decision by then,” Moynihan said.

In order for the case to be heard before the Wisconsin Supreme court, four of the seven justices must agree to hear the case.

Recently, Flanagan’s decision to block the bill has come under scrutiny after it was discovered that he signed the petition to recall Gov. Scott Walker who supports the bill.  

Few problems were reported in the February primary election in which the Voter ID law was in effect despite low turnout.