Saturday, September 07, 2024

The ‘Silver Lining’ in a year of great films

Writer-director David O. Russell is on a roll. His 2010 film “The Fighter” showcased some excellent acting, with Christian Bale and Melissa Leo taking home some awards hardware for their efforts. His previous films, including “I Heart Huckabees” and “Three Kings,” were but a preview of his now cemented talents.

Not surprisingly, O. Russell’s winning new film “Silver Linings Playbooks” takes the concept of the dysfunctional family to a new level. Based on Matthew Quick’s novel of the same name, “Silver Linings Playbook” offers up some great storytelling and spectacular performances, with Jennifer Lawrence and Robert De Niro being the standouts.

Set in the outskirts of Philadelphia, the narrative centers around Pat (Bradley Cooper) who just got out of a mental hospital thanks to his mom Dolores (Jacki Weaver). The hospital-stay stint was caused by a breakdown when he found his wife cheating on him. Trying to rekindle a relationship with his parents while simultaneously trying to find a way to contact his wife despite a restraining order against him, Pat encounters Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence), another troubled individual who may have her own share of mental health problems.

She promises to give Pat’s wife a letter from him on one condition: He commits to dancing with her in a dance contest. Grudgingly, at least at first, Pat accepts the deal.

Meanwhile, Pat’s father, Pat Sr. (Robert De Niro), a fanatical Eagles fan who has been forever banned from the Eagles’ stadium, bets on Eagles games in hope of raising enough money for a restaurant. He believes his son to be a good luck charm for an Eagles win, and begs his son to watch the Eagles play with him.

In one of his best roles in years (maybe even a decade), De Niro’s performance feels incredibly natural. He has a true knack for comedic timing while altogether giving a completely grounded performance. It’s a standout, and it’s one of the best supporting performances of the year.

However, the 22-year-old actress Jennifer Lawrence gives no doubt the best performance of her career, rivaling her work in the 2010 Ozark drama “Winter’s Bone” for which she received extensive critical acclaim. Her character is perhaps the most grown-up of all the characters on the screen even if she is the most troubled. By convincing Pat to enter into a dance contest with her, she refocuses his energy and pretty much his entire life.

A well-written screenplay by O. Russell helps to flesh out some of the jagged edges of these troubled characters. O. Russell’s screenplay wisely maneuvers around a rather conventional story by alternating between moments of humor with those of heartache. Thanks to some fine acting by all parties involved (even Chris Tucker shows up for some comic relief), O. Russell’s film oozes with a sense of authenticity and truth.

If anything, O. Russell’s film lags a tad in its middle, yet once the film begins to barrel toward it’s ending, it does anything but lag.

Cinematographer Masanobu Takayanagi helps to seep out some of this authenticity with some engaging steadicam work, and Jay Cassidy’s editing gives the film a sense of anxiety that carries the narrative along.

Boasting a fun soundtrack (including Stevie Wonder, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash and others), “Silver Linings Playbook” is a breath of fresh air. Embracing its conventionality and predictability, the film is yet another silver lining in a year full of great films.

“Silver Linings Playbook” will be available to view in theaters beginning on Nov. 21.