Thursday, September 19, 2024

Committee talks domestic abuse initiatives

Madison’s Public Safety Review Committee met Tuesday with domestic abuse experts to discuss issues in the community after the city Council passed a resolution seeking more funding for domestic violence programs March 5.

The resolution calls for continuing funding of the Law Enforcement Advocate Partnership, which piloted in 2011, and established a referral system between the Madison Police Department and Domestic Abuse Intervention Services.

LEAP allows police officers to provide DAIS with the necessary information for a staff member to follow up directly with a victim of domestic violence, instead of waiting for the victim to reach out for support.

Ald. Jill Johnson, District 16, sponsored the resolution and said the PSRC will meet in the future to discuss policies aimed at preventing domestic abuse.

“The programs that were spoken about tonight are things we should all be interested in supporting,” Johnson said.

The council also met with DAIS Executive Director Shannon Barry to discuss current domestic violence programs in Madison.

According to Barry, city funding for abuse services is not keeping up with the “skyrocketing” demand for them, adding Madison has the fewest domestic violence shelters per capita in the state.

The Women’s Care Center in Madison always operates at full capacity due to its size, and often has a waitlist of up to 50 people, according to Barry.

Johnson said the PSRC is committed to bringing the community’s attention to domestic violence.

“Domestic violence is something we all need to be aware of,” Johnson said. “With a lot of social issues, the core goal is increase awareness and education.”