Friday, September 20, 2024

UW-Madison establishes revised alcohol policy

University of Wisconsin-Madison instituted a revised campus-wide alcohol service policy at the start of the spring semester, according to a university news release.

The new policy outlines specifications to improve communication to members of the campus and defines university events as any gathering hosted on campus or any off-campus activity sponsored by the university, including those outside the state and country, according to the release. Additionally, employees are now required to complete training prior to serving alcohol at university events.

According to Executive Director of University Health Service Sarah Van Orman, the training, which will be administered online through Learn@UW, will be simplified and easy to complete in less than one hour.

“It equips them with important skills such as identification procedures and how to recognize and respond to intoxicated individuals,” Orman said in the release.

The new policy was created in part with input from faculty, staff and students earlier in the year, and was later approved by campus governance and other interested parties.