Friday, September 20, 2024

Badger student-athletes participate in ‘Science Saturday’

Dozens of University of Wisconsin-Madison student-athletes volunteered at “Science Saturday,” an interactive science fair open to the public Feb. 1, according to a university press release.

Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery featured several hands-on science demonstrations at the event.

Badger redshirt sophomore running back Melvin Gordon attached electrocardiogram diodes to his arm to demonstrate how his training has enhanced the relations between his grip and the electricity moving through his heart as part of one of the demonstrations.

According to the release, the student-athletes participated as a part of the Beyond the Game program.

The program aims to improve student-athlete graduation rates, post-graduation prospects and activity involvement with classes, seminars and hands-on experiences, such as Science Saturday. 

Assistant director of the Wisconsin’s Equity and Inclusion Laboratory and Beyond the Game program instructor LaVar Charleston said in the release he believes it is important to improve student-athlete awareness of opportunities that exist beyond university athletics.

“The program exists to help these athletes realize their potential outside of athletics,” Charleston said. “We want to open their eyes to the fact that, at some point, their athletic careers will end.”