Friday, September 20, 2024
Peace Corps

Acting Peace Corps Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet praises the difference UW-Madison volunteers have made abroad.

Peace Corps names UW-Madison top producer of volunteers

The Peace Corps named the University of Wisconsin-Madison the nation’s leading source of current Peace Corps volunteers, according to a Tuesday university press release.

UW-Madison reclaimed its position atop the list of contributors for the first time since 2006, but the university has been an important resource for the length of the Peace Corps’ 53-year history, the release said.

Since 1961 UW-Madison has sent 3,112 alumni abroad, second only to the University of California-Berkeley, according to the statement.

Acting Peace Corps Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet made the announcement during a visit to Madison Tuesday, praising the difference UW-Madison volunteers have made abroad.

According to the release,Chancellor Rebecca Blank said the announcement reflects UW-Madison’s strong international studies programs and the university’s founding principles.

“The mission of the Peace Corps is very much aligned with our guiding principle, the Wisconsin Idea–the commitment that we apply our knowledge and skills to improve people’s lives near and far,” Blank said in the release.