Friday, September 20, 2024

UW-Madison researchers receive grant for innovative health improvement

Five researchers from the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Medicine and Public Health received a two-year, $100,000 grant each to pursue innovative research and education in health, according to a university press release.

The Wisconsin Partnership Program developed the New Investigator Program to encourage researchers to develop health improvement projects for Wisconsin early in their careers, the release said.

As part of the New Investigator Program, Lian-Wang Guo, assistant professor of surgery, will study new drug reception methods for vascular disease, according to the release.

Additionally, Melissa Harrison, assistant professor of biomolecular chemistry, will develop treatment or prevention methods for birth defects.

Nancy Pandhi, assistant professor of family medicine, will assess an integrated-care model for treating severe mental illness, according to the release.

Margaret Schwarze, assistant professor of surgery, will train physicians with a preoperative communication tool for chronically ill elderly patients.

Nathan Sherer, assistant professor of oncology, will explore potential therapies to stop the spread of HIV in infected individuals.