Friday, September 20, 2024

Sustainability Committee discusses Green Fund future

The Associated Students of Madison Sustainability Committee met Wednesday to discuss future projects under the recently approved 2015 Green Fund.

In November 2013, ASM approved an $80,000 allocation of student segregated fees for the initiative that promotes sustainability projects within the university.

The ASM Nominations Board is currently reviewing applications for an advisory board that would oversee and approve proposed projects. These projects, which aim to introduce new ideas involving sustainability and environmental awareness, must be proposed by a registered student organization.

Committee member Jennifer Sharpe recently created her own RSO to apply for funding, with the project focusing on the introduction of recyclable containers into the UW-Madison dining halls. The containers would be designed and produced by Sharpe's company, Serving Earth, and would be made solely of recyclable materials.

Sharpe is applying for a $20,000 Green Fund grant to produce 4,000 containers. She said she was prompted to pursue the project after she read an article about a Florida school taking on the project and thought to herself, "I can do that, but better."

Sharpe said she has received positive feedback from numerous university sources and projects the plan will take action during next year's spring semester.

Other projects within the university's dining halls were discussed by committee members, including the Food Recovery and Campus Kitchen campaigns. Both aim to bring other sources of sustainability and waste reduction to campus.