Friday, September 20, 2024
Vel Phillips

UW-Madison Law School alumna Vel Phillips speaks at a civil rights seminar in Union South Wednesday.

UW-Madison seminar features civil rights activist Vel Phillips

The University of Wisconsin-Madison hosted a seminar Wednesday in honor of the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights Act, featuring UW-Madison Law School alumna Velvelea “Vel” Phillips as the keynote speaker.

Chancellor Rebecca Blank opened “A Nation Still Under Construction,” an event that was held in Union South’s Varsity Hall, by discussing the importance of diversity on UW-Madison’s campus and praising Phillips’ accomplishments.

“Every success that we celebrate depends on tireless, passionate and courageous work amongst those that came before us,” Blank said. “We honor Phillips’ commitment and the changes that she brought about.”

During her presentation, Phillips discussed events that took place during her terms at the Milwaukee Common Council and throughout her work with civil rights.

Additionally, Phillips talked about the tribulations she faced as the first African-American elected to the Milwaukee Common Council, emphasizing that all of her decisions were highly publicized.

“Anything that I did was in the paper,” she said.

Throughout her career, Phillips said she also faced adversity from colleagues.

“[The] first four years were hard,” she said. “I would say good morning and they would not say it back to me.”

Ahmed Mohamed, a UW-Madison senior majoring in neurobiology, math and history, voiced praise for Phillips’ talk.

“Phillips is a great storyteller. She went through so much with the state in the 1960s and 1970s and is the most qualified person in Wisconsin to present on civil rights,” Mohamed said. “Issues with civil rights still go on today and Phillips brings awareness to current issues.”

Phillips also received awards for her past achievements at the event.

Paula Bonner, Wisconsin Alumni Association CEO and President, presented Phillips the Distinguished Alumni Award for her efforts relating to the Civil Rights Movement. Members of the sorority Delta Sigma Theta, of which Phillips was a part, also recognized her.

Other speakers included Interim Vice Provost for Diversity and Climate Patrick Sims, Evjue-Bascom Professor Emeritus Freida High W. Tesfagiorgis and Roberto Rivera, who specializes in youth development, social justice and hip-hop culture.

Additionally, the seminar featured panel discussions about civil rights issues and a gallery walk composed of civil rights images.