Friday, September 20, 2024

SSFC elects new leadership

In the first meeting of its 21st session, the Associated Students of Madison Student Service Finance Committee unanimously selected Devon Maier as its next chair.

Maier, who ran unopposed, served as SSFC secretary during the second semester of last session.

In his tenure, Maier said he wants to focus on non-allocable budgets and solidifying the role students play in allocating student segregated fees.

“I think we have a nice opportunity to change our focus to working on non-allocable [funding],” Maier said, noting it makes up a large portion of the budget allocations SSFC works with. “If you look at pie charts, it’s a giant percentage.”

Additionally, Maier said he wants to continue efforts with the ASM F50 campaign, which aims to assert student autonomy over segregated fees and their allocation.

Maier added he wants to see SSFC remain involved in the implementation of the Recreational Sports Master Plan to ensure students are continuing to have input on decisions.

SSFC members also voted on both vice chair and secretary for the next session.

Of the three candidates for vice chair—Thuy Pham, Brett DuCharme and Dylan Fiedler—Pham won with a 6-4-0 vote.

Pham, who has served on the committee for two years, said while Maier focuses on the non-allocable budgets, she wants to strengthen the connection with the General Student Services Fund groups that are part of the allocable distribution.

Specifically, Pham said it is important to lend herself and the committee as a resource to the GSSF as they work through familiarizing themselves with the new eligibility criteria.

“What we are doing directly affects student groups,” Pham said, highlighting the power SSFC has over ensuring registered student organizations receive funding. “By focusing on and helping GSSF groups, I think we are investing in our students and we give them the best opportunities that we can.”

SSFC members unanimously selected DuCharme to serve as the next secretary, with many citing his extensive work this past year on eligibility criteria being beneficial in the leadership position.

Maier said no SSFC summer meetings are currently scheduled, but will be held if necessary.