Friday, September 20, 2024

New Diversity Committee chair aims to create inclusive campus

The Associated Students of Madison Diversity Committee met for the first time of the fall semester Tuesday to discuss the importance of a diverse campus.

The Diversity Committee focuses on developing different ways to engage students to become more diverse and embrace diversity within the campus. Newly-selected chair, Dolly Wang, facilitated discussion among members about the importance of the committee’s mission.

Wang said she has been a part of ASM since she interned with the organization last year. She said she eventually joined the Diversity Committee because she wanted to help everyone feel as if they are appreciated, respected and safe.

“I feel like I didn’t have a really inclusive experience, I didn’t feel a ‘family feel’ on campus,” Wang said. “I did feel this way when I was on the Diversity Committee.”

She said one of her goals as the chair this year is to push along and develop the University of Wisconsin-Madison Diversity Plan Framework that ASM helped contribute to last year. The framework is a structured plan to incorporate not only different ethnicities, but also the different lifestyles that everyone has on campus.

The committee will meet next week to discuss potential campaigns and plans for this upcoming year.