Friday, September 20, 2024

UW joins university technology-development group

UW-Madison is slated to join various higher education institutes in a think tank aimed at developing digital teaching and learning initiatives.

The educational consortium, Unizin, provides a medium for universities to work together on creating new technological tools to improve overall learning experiences for students, according to a university statement released Tuesday.

"Our decision to join Unizin at this time opens the opportunity for our faculty, staff and students to help shape the next generation digital teaching and learning environment for Wisconsin and the nation," Steve Cramer, UW-Madison vice provost for teaching and learning, said. "Our campus Educational Innovation initiative can now grow in new dimensions that otherwise would not have been possible.”

Indiana University, Colorado State University, the University of Michigan and the University of Florida began the consortium in July 2014, and will be welcoming Oregon State and Minnesota to the group along with UW.

The university also said it expects the involvement with Unizin to lead to new opportunities in Massive Open Online Courses.