Thursday, September 19, 2024

Assembly Republicans caucus to determine party leadership

State Assembly Republicans held a caucus Monday in order to introduce and welcome their 18 new members as well as vote on party leadership positions.

State Rep. Robin Vos, R-Rochester, was unanimously re-elected as the speaker of the assembly. In his nomination speech, state Rep. Rob Swearingen, R-Rhinelander, lauded Vos for his fiscal responsibility and strong media presence, calling him the “guy out front taking the bullets, the guy who cares about you.”  

The caucus also elected state Rep. Jim Steineke, R-Kaukauna, as assembly majority leader. He was commended by his colleagues for his familiarity with Wisconsin’s legislative process.  State Rep. Dale Kooyenga, R-Brookfield, nominated Steineke, saying while many politicians provide little more than strong rhetoric, Steineke brings substantive policy skills to the position.

Rep. Tyler August, R-Lake Geneva, was re-elected speaker pro tempore and Rep. Dan Knodl, R-Germantown, was elected assistant majority leader.

Swearingen’s boisterous speech captured the celebratory mood of the caucus, with Rep. Chris Kapenga, R-Delafield, noting the local implications of the larger, nationwide Republican trend.

With Republicans holding 63 out of 99 state Assembly seats, Kapenga argued the results of the midterm election represented “a strong green light.”

“Let’s go do what our constituents hired us to do and run a conservative, Republican agenda through this assembly,” Kapenga said.

Vos also discussed the significance of his party’s majority in his acceptance speech, encouraging a unified caucus in order to pass legislation.

Gov. Scott Walker also spoke, noting with three electoral victories in four years, he “now has more wins in Wisconsin than Jay Cutler.” Walker announced education would be a top priority in his second term. He not only emphasized the need to keep the UW System affordable, but also drew attention to the importance of funding for Wisconsin’s technical colleges.  

Walker said his budget is still in its formative stages and a key factor for its passage will be collaboration between the executive and legislative branches.

According to Walker, however, the most important aspect of his economic agenda is “getting government out of the way [and] putting power in the hands of people who create the jobs.”