Friday, September 06, 2024
May_Kamala_Harris_MKE-05.jpg
Vice President Kamala Harris waves to a crowd during her Economic Opportunity Tour on May 16, 2024 in Milwaukee, Wis.

Key Wisconsin Democrats endorse Harris for presidential nomination

Following President Joe Biden’s announcement to not seek reelection, U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin, Gov. Tony Evers, U.S. Rep. Mark Pocan and Madison Mayor Satya Rhodes-Conway have backed Vice President Kamala Harris in her bid for the Democratic nomination.

Key Wisconsin Democrats endorsed Vice President Kamala Harris for the party’s presidential nomination following President Joe Biden’s decision to step out of the 2024 presidential race on Sunday. 

U.S. Rep. Mark Pocan, who called for Biden to “pass the torch” in a statement on Friday, applauded Biden’s decision to withdraw from the race and thanked the president for his “tremendous” service in a statement on Sunday. Pocan then tweeted his support for Harris. 

“If Donald Trump isn’t replaced by the Republicans as their nominee, he’s not going to know what hit him against Harris on the campaign trail,” Pocan wrote in a tweet on Sunday. 

In a statement Sunday, U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin called it “an honor” to work with Biden to “deliver real, meaningful change” for Wisconsinites, before backing Harris for president. 

“I look forward to her candidacy as a new beginning for our party and our country and I am excited to work with her to lower costs for Wisconsin families, grow our Made in America economy and restore our fundamental rights and freedoms,” Baldwin said in a later statement on Sunday.

While Evers stopped short of endorsing Harris on Sunday in a statement celebrating Biden’s service his official endorsement statement of Harris was released Monday morning. 

“She can beat Donald Trump, and I’m going to do everything I can between now and November 5 to help make sure she does,” Evers said in a statement Monday.

Evers told reporters on Monday he didn’t endorse Harris right after Biden's announcement because he wanted the president to “have that connection to the people of Wisconsin.” 

Madison Mayor Satya Rhodes-Conway also voiced her support for Harris on Sunday, opting to do so with a simple tweet: a photo of her and Harris with the words “I’m with her” in capital letters.

Wisconsin will send 95 delegates and seven alternates to the Democratic National Convention in Chicago, set to take place Aug. 19-22. Harris said she intends to “earn and win” her nomination. 

Harris has secured the support of enough Democratic delegates to become the party’s nominee, according to an Associated Press survey. Several state delegations met late Monday to confirm their support for Harris.

“When I announced my campaign for President, I said I intended to go out and earn this nomination. Tonight, I am proud to have secured the broad support needed to become our party’s nominee, and as a daughter of California, I am proud that my home state’s delegation helped put our campaign over the top,” Harris said in a statement Monday night. “I look forward to formally accepting the nomination soon.”

Harris will make her first campaign stop in Milwaukee on Tuesday, less than a week after the Republican National Convention was held in the city. It will be her fifth visit to Wisconsin this year and ninth during her term as vice president. 

Anna Kleiber

Anna Kleiber is the state news editor for The Daily Cardinal. She previously served as the arts editor. Anna has written in-depth on elections, legislative maps and campus news. She is an intern with WisPolitics and a summer intern with Madison Magazine. Follow her on Twitter at @annakleiber03.