Sunday, September 01, 2024
Convention Fest RNC 2024

RNC Convention Fest draws attention to local Milwaukee businesses

Local and national business owners credit the convention’s outdoor marketplace for a visible increase in business.

MILWAUKEE — The Republican National Convention hosted the first Convention Fest Monday to showcase both local and U.S.-based businesses. 

Convention Fest is an outdoor marketplace held from 2 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. during all four days of the convention and is located within the complex perimeter. Local business owners told The Daily Cardinal the convention brought more attention to their businesses. 

Randa Fahmey, owner of Texas-based business Makeup America, said the exposure from the convention was “terrific.”

“All 50,000 people [at the convention] are strong believers of ‘made in America’ and really promoting America,” Fahmey said. “All of our products are patriotically named and patriotically priced, so we're very popular here at the convention.” 

Tolu Ojesina, owner of Moda Headwraps and a member of the Wisconsin Black Chamber of Commerce, handed out “more cards than I can count.” 

“The whole experience has been super helpful,” Ojesina said.

For some business owners, showing support for the Republican Party was a factor in their decision to be a vendor at Convention Fest. 

Fahmey told the Cardinal she had been a Republican her entire life, and was excited to have the opportunity to attend the convention in person. 

Elia Navarro, owner of luxury leather company Nouva Eleganza, agreed with Fahmey.

“​We are in some ways new in politics, but we like to support the Republicans,” Navarro said. “We are pro-life and we are followers in that way, so they invited me to participate.”

​​​​​​The City of Milwaukee said the convention was expected to boost the local economy and benefit local businesses. Jim Kanter, chief commercial officer of Central Standard Distillery and Milwaukee native, committed to the convention after learning 50,000 people would be in attendance. 

Kanter credited the RNC for “seeing the pace, pick up for our business on our web traffic and our social media” since the start of the convention.

“You can see by the presence of the number of places that are here that [the vendors] truly wanted to embrace and be a part of it,” Kanter said. “That's what we do here in the great City of Milwaukee.” 

Christopher Brandt, owner of Milwaukee-based Artas’n Meats, hoped being a vendor at Convention Fest would encourage people from other states to buy from his company. 

“There’s the local businesses around here, but this gives a whole another opportunity for additional businesses to show off their products,” Brandt said. 

Navarro launched her business last year and told the Cardinal the convention was a good way to get the word out. 

“As a new business, I think I will get the word to too many people,” Navarro said. “All vendors, I think we have very good exposure to new clients.”

In addition to food and retail, Convention Fest offers prayer spaces, film viewings and live music. 

Marin Rosen

Marin Rosen is the city news editor for The Daily Cardinal and a second-year journalism student. Throughout her time at the Cardinal, she's written articles for city and state news. She is an intern at Channel 3000 News and runs the Badger Beat on Instagram and TikTok. Follow her on Twitter at @marin_rosen