Monday, September 02, 2024
Vance, wifey, melania.jpg
Usha Vance, JD Vance and Melania Trump photographed at the Republican National Convention on July 18, 2024.

Two key takeaways from JD Vance’s night three RNC speech

Republican vice presidential nominee JD Vance shared his story and made a direct appeal to Midwestern swing state voters Wednesday night at the Republican National Convention in Milwaukee.

MILWAUKEE — Republican vice presidential nominee JD Vance spoke at night three of the Republican National Convention Wednesday, making his first appearance since his nomination on Monday.  

The 39-year-old freshman senator from Ohio is relatively unknown in the political sphere, having only served in the U.S. Senate for less than two years. While he was once a “never Trumper,” Vance flipped his view on former President Donald Trump during his campaign for U.S. Senate in 2022. 

Here are two key takeaways from Vance’s first speech as Trump’s running mate. 

Vance introduced his family, shared his story

In his speech, Vance talked about growing up poor in Kentucky and Ohio to a mother who struggled with addiction and an absentee father. Vance rose to fame in 2016 when he published his memoir “Hillbilly Elegy,” which tells the story of his upbringing. 

“Never in my wildest imagination could I have believed that I’d be standing here tonight,” Vance said.

During his speech, Vance called President Joe Biden “a career politician” and criticized Biden’s support of the North American Free Trade Agreement for sending “countless good American manufacturing jobs to Mexico.” 

“Joe Biden has been a politician in Washington as long as I’ve been alive,” Vance said. “For half a century, he’s been a champion of every single policy initiative to make America weaker and poorer.”

Vance was introduced by his wife, Usha Chilukuri Vance, who detailed the pair’s different upbringings. While Vance came from a low income Appalachian family, Usha, an immigrant, came from a middle-class family in San Diego. 

The crowd greeted Vance and his family warmly, chanting “JD’s Mom” and cheering when he introduced his mother, who used to struggle with addiction but has been sober for 10 years.

“Some people tell me I’ve lived the American Dream, and of course, they’re right, and I’m so grateful,” Vance said. “But the American Dream that always counted most was not starting a business or becoming senator or even being here with you fine people, though it’s pretty awesome. My most important American Dream was becoming a good husband and a good dad.”

A direct appeal to Midwestern swing state voters

Vance made a direct appeal to swing state voters in the Midwest, casting himself as a fighter for the working class by leaning into his rural roots. He argued his party is the best equipped to address the challenges working-class Americans face.

“In states all across our country, jobs were sent overseas and children were sent to war,” Vance said. “To the people of Middletown, Ohio, and all the forgotten communities in Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Ohio, and every corner of our nation, I promise you this: I will be a vice president who never forgets where he came from.”

Vance hinted at the importance of Midwestern swing states like Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, that have large white working-class populations.

“This moment is not about me,” Vance said. “It’s about the auto worker in Michigan, wondering why out of touch politicians are destroying their jobs.”

While Trump is already popular among white working-class voters, Republicans hope Vance’s background will add to the GOP ticket’s appeal in swing states.

Anna Kleiber

Anna Kleiber is the state news editor for The Daily Cardinal. She previously served as the arts editor. Anna has written in-depth on elections, legislative maps and campus news. She is an intern with WisPolitics and a summer intern with Madison Magazine. Follow her on Twitter at @annakleiber03.