Saturday, July 06, 2024
News_MarkMone.jpeg

UW-Milwaukee Chancellor Mark Mone announced the university will cope with a $7 million revenue loss — partly due to lack of student enrollment and the tuition freeze — by offering voluntary buyout offers to senior faculty and attempts to make the campus more welcoming.

UW-Milwaukee chancellor to step down next summer

Mark Mone will step down as chancellor of UW-Milwaukee after 11 years.

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Chancellor Mark Mone announced Wednesday he will step down from his position next summer.

Mone will have served as chancellor for 11 years, a tenure he noted exceeded any of UWM’s past chancellors, with the exception of its founder. Mone will return to teaching at the Lubar College of Business, effective July 1, 2025.

“Being your chancellor is as rewarding as it is challenging, and it’s a role that requires round-the-clock attention," Mone said, adding he reached the decision after careful thought and discussion with family and colleagues. 

Mone detailed recognitions and milestones the university reached under his leadership, including record philanthropic support the past two years, the opening of new academic facilities and a balanced 2025 budget.

Mone said these accomplishments came while weathering “the strongest of headwinds.” 

During his time as chancellor, Mone oversaw declining state funding, the implementation of a controversial bill restructuring diversity, equity and inclusion positions and pro-Palestine protests calling for the university to divest from Israel.

The two-week long encampments at the end of the Spring semester were removed without police action after UWM reached a deal with protesters in which the UWM foundation promised to discuss divestment and review its study abroad policies. 

The deal, and Mone’s accompanying statement condeming genocide and the destruction of universities in Gaza, drew criticism from Jewish community members and was condemned by UW System President Jay Rothman.

Rothman said he was “disappointed by the course taken by UW-Milwaukee, and [was] continuing to assess the decision-making process that led to this result.” 

A week later Mone apologized for weighing in “on deeply complex geopolitical and historical issues” and acknowledged some people on campus were left feeling “vulnerable, unsafe, and unseen.” He pledged to continue listening to students and to developing a more inclusive campus. 

Mone and Rothman did not immediately respond to a request for comment on whether the events in May contributed to his stepping down. 

Rothman and the UW System Board of Regents President Amy Bogost praised Mone’s leadership and expressed their gratitude for his service in statements Wednesday.

“I deeply appreciate the tremendous support you have provided in good times and throughout the challenges,” Mone said. “I highly value how much you care, which is a hallmark of the spirit of UWM. Thank you for the privilege of serving as chancellor of this important institution.”

Gavin Escott

Gavin Escott is the campus news editor for the Daily Cardinal. He has covered protests, breaking news and written in-depth on Wisconsin politics and higher education. He is the former producer of the Cardinal Call podcast. Follow him on Twitter at @gav_escott.