Thursday, September 12, 2024
Rose Lavelle

Rose Lavelle and the Badgers earned a spot in the NCAA Tournament despite losing to Michigan in the Big Ten Tournament.

17 current and former Badgers compete at Paris Olympics

Among those who qualified for the games include USWNT star Rose Lavelle, University of Wisconsin-Madison senior Phoebe Bacon and UW junior Adam Spencer.

In Paris, 17 current and former University of Wisconsin-Madison Badgers compete in the Summer Olympics from July 26 to Aug. 11. 

Mohammed Ahmed, Olli Hoare, Morgan McDonald, Adam Spencer and Zach Ziemek are competing in various men’s track and field events from Aug. 1 to 11. Phoebe Bacon and Taiko Torepe-Ormsby qualified for swimming. Lauren Carlini and Dana Rettke are competing in women's volleyball. Jaden Eikermann Gregorchuk, an incoming student-athlete at UW-Madison, will be going to the games for men’s diving

For all fans of the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team (USWNT), the name Rose Lavelle may sound familiar. The previously #1 ranked collegiate player in the country will be seen in red and white (and blue) yet again as she heads to her second Olympic Games. The former Wisconsin midfielder and current NJ/NY Gotham FC player will certainly be one to watch on the women’s soccer stage. 

Women’s rowing is well represented by Wisconsin athletes. Grace Joyce, Lauren O’Connor, Sophia Vitas and Maddie Wanamaker all qualified for various events in women’s rowing. All four athletes are competing on behalf of the U.S. 

Aleem Ford, a 2021 alumni of UW men’s basketball, is representing Puerto Rico in the sport. Alev Kelter, an alumni, is playing on behalf of the U.S. in Rugby Sevens. Kelter was a two-sport athlete at Wisconsin, playing for both the women’s hockey team and the women’s soccer team. 

Three of those competing athletes are current students at UW-Madison. Senior Phoebe Bacon made her second Olympic team after qualifying in swimming for the 200 meter backstroke. She finished just behind US champion, Regan Smith. This achievement came after a highly successful season for Bacon, who won the 2024 NCAA National Championship for the same event in March

Bacon’s teammate on the UW-Madison Swim and Dive team, Taiko Torepe-Ormsby, is also currently in Paris competing on behalf of New Zealand. Torepe-Ormsby, a sophomore at UW-Madison, qualified for the 50 meter freestyle.

The New Zealand Olympic page reported that Torepe-Ormsby is not only the nation’s fastest swimmer for the 50 meter distance, but swam it in less than 22-seconds at the Olympic Trials–becoming the first ever Kiwi to do so. 

Junior Adam Spencer was also present at the opening ceremony, representing his home country of Australia in the men’s track and field 1500 meter race

Spencer’s record speaks for itself, holding five Big Ten championship titles, five-time All American titles and two school records in the 1500 meters and mile. Spencer should be a dominant force among the elite competition at the Paris Olympics. 

In a video for the Wisconsin On Big Ten Network social media, both Spencer and Torepe-Ormsby expressed their excitement to not just compete in the Olympics, but to visit iconic Paris landmarks including the Louvre and Eiffel Tower. For Torepe-Ormsby, it will be his first time in Europe, he told the Wisconsin on BTN account.

As for Bacon, a return to the Olympic Games meant the opportunity to experience things the pandemic-stricken Tokyo Olympics in 2021 did not permit. 

“Back in 2021, we weren’t able to go and watch other athletes compete,” Bacon told Wisconsin on BTN. “I think this year we should be able to, so hopefully I’ll have some free time and be able to get over, maybe watch some diving, some gymnastics.” 

NBC, the hosts of the Olympic Games, as well as the USA Network, E!, the Golf Channel, CNBC and Telemundo will be broadcasting games and events. But only Peacock offers access to all  sporting events for viewers. 

Regardless of how viewers plan to watch the 2024 Paris Olympic Games, Wisconsin fans now have 17 extra incentives to cheer extra loud anytime an incoming, current or former Badger takes their place on the world stage.