Thursday, September 12, 2024
housing-4.jpg

Letter to the Editor: The reality of the student housing crisis

Editor’s note: Letters to the Editor and open letters reflect the opinions, concerns and views of University of Wisconsin-Madison students and community. As such, the information presented may or may not be accurate. Letters to the Editor and open lette

Editor’s note: Letters to the Editor and open letters reflect the opinions, concerns and views of University of Wisconsin-Madison students and community. As such, the information presented may or may not be accurate. Letters to the Editor and open letters do not reflect the editorial views or opinions of The Daily Cardinal. 

I recently read the article titled "Is Affordable Student Housing a Myth?" and would like to share my perspective on the ongoing housing crisis. As an incoming sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, I have experienced firsthand the enticing advertisements that luxury apartments use to attract students. It's very tempting, especially when the pressure of having an "aesthetic" apartment is so high. The issue is that many students are willing to abide by these high prices to meet unattainable expectations of college living, which in turn gives the landlords the power, not the renters.

While it's easy to point fingers at luxury landlords and construction companies for driving up prices, I believe students also play a significant role in this issue by accepting exorbitant rents in exchange for lavish amenities. Many students are drawn to high-end features such as rooftop pools, fitness centers, and stylish common areas, often overlooking the steep costs associated with them. This demand for luxury accommodations fuels the market, encouraging developers to prioritize profit over affordability.

By prioritizing more affordable housing options and avoiding luxury apartments, students can reduce the demand for high-priced accommodations. This shift in demand can pressure landlords to lower prices or improve the affordability of their offerings. A great way to make this shift is by educating students about their options. Many don’t realize that there are alternative options to luxurious apartments. One way to educate students is by promoting the Off-Campus Housing Services on Madison’s University Housing website. This resource offers advice and links to the Tenant Resource Center, which provides extensive information about renters' rights.

It’s also important that the university is held accountable. By strongly encouraging the Univeristy of Wisconsin-Madison to expand and improve on-campus housing, students could have more affordable housing opportunities. If students unite and prominently voice these issues, the university is more likely to take them seriously.

We must not only hold landlords accountable but also examine the choices we are making. As students, we have the power to advocate for more sustainable, affordable living situations that meet our needs without sacrificing our financial stability.

Sincerely,
Emily Hokanson