Saturday, September 14, 2024
Pro-Palestine Die in at Bascom-02.jpg

Free speech expert, ACLU of Wisconsin question constitutionality of new UW-Madison protest policy

Singing, distributing newspapers and more “expressive activities” could be banned within 25 feet of university buildings under new protest guidelines announced ahead of the fall semester.

The University of Wisconsin-Madison’s new protest policy may be unconstitutional, a constitutional law expert and ACLU of Wisconsin lawyer told The Daily Cardinal.

UW-Madison updated its protest policy Aug. 28 to include restrictions on “expressive activity” within 25 feet of university facility entrances, size limitations for signs in buildings, specific sound amplification restrictions and restrictions on protest activity during select times on campus areas.

Although the policy isn't trying to limit “individuals speaking directly to one another" such as conversation, free speech and constitutional law expert Howard Schweber said a conversation between friends, the distribution of newspapers or pamphlets, singing or wearing political merchandise could all be prohibited within 25 feet of UW-Madison facility entrances.

Schweber said the university limiting “expressive activity” within 25 feet of building entrances is “extremely problematic, clearly unconstitutional” and “begging to invite some judge to strike them down.”

Tim Muth, senior staff attorney at the ACLU of Wisconsin, agreed that the new policy is “vague and ill-defined, and could infringe on perfectly constitutional First Amendment conduct” in a Wednesday statement.

“The restrictions are unclear, making it difficult to distinguish between what kind of activity is permitted and what is prohibited,” Muth told The Daily Cardinal. “Constitutional protections do not end when approaching a campus building. UW-Madison should be an institution where free expression and an open exchange of ideas are valued and protected.”

In a statement to the Cardinal, UW-Madison spokesperson John Lucas said the university worked with legal counsel to protect free expression and meet legal requirements.

“While we respect that there can be differences of opinion in the complicated area of freedom of expression, we believe that we have crafted a policy that complies with both the Constitution and the First Amendment, as well as helping us meet our obligations under Title VI,” Lucas said.

UW-Madison defines “expressive activity” as activities protected by the First Amendment including “speech, lawful assembly, protesting, distributing literature and chalking” in its updated policy.

“This rule suffers from massive overbreadth. It covers an enormous and almost incalculable amount of First Amendment-protected expression in ways that have nothing to do with ensuring access to university buildings,” Schweber said.

Under section 2 D of UW 6013, expressive activity, including protest within 25 feet of UW-Madison building entrances, is the focus of limitations, but the rule does not explicitly protect other forms of free speech.

“In the First Amendment context, we usually distinguish between speech and expressive conduct. You can have rules limiting expressive conduct that go much farther than rules that are allowed to restrict actual speech. But this rule applies to actual, what's called pure speech — people talking,” Schweber said.

UW-Madison is allowed reasonable “time, place and manner restrictions” on free speech and protests, but Schweber said the vagueness of Section D makes it impossible “for students and others to have any idea what is and is not allowed” within 25 feet of UW-Madison buildings.

UW-6013 Section 2 DII also gives the UW-Madison Police Department the ability to increase the mandatory distance where expressive activity is banned beyond 25 feet to “allow access to university property or to protect the safety of individuals or university property.”

“That means UWPD can literally shut down Bascom and Library Mall completely on the basis that something is happening that they think threatens some piece of property,” Schweber said. “That's a remarkable and excessive authority to constrain First Amendment protected expression without anything like an adequate justification.”

Section 2 F of UW 6013 prevents obstruction to university buildings, a plausible goal of Section D, according to Schweber. Lucas confirmed the goal of Section 2 D was to ensure building access and “to keep passageways clear.”

Schweber said this makes Section 2 D even harder to defend because it is not the “most narrowly restrictive means” to prevent obstruction of university buildings.

Muth agreed that “since other parts of the policy forbid blocking entrances to buildings, this new section appears to be designed solely to limit speech without a compelling reason.”

“I think that's a perfect illustration of how if you write a rule carelessly, a perfectly legitimate policy goal can lead to absurd results,” Schweber said. 

Lucas said the intent of the new Expressive Activity Policy was to “help students, employees and campus visitors better understand their rights and responsibilities.”

When asked about possible restrictions in the 25-foot zone, including the distribution of newspapers or singing, Lucas said “the policy recognizes that engaging in expressive activities is a fundamental part of the student experience and outlines reasonable time, place, and manner restrictions, such as the 25-foot restriction, that work in tandem to help prevent concerted activities from obstructing or interfering with campus operations.”

Student newspaper distribution raises concerns over viewpoint discrimination

Distribution of the Cardinal and The Badger Herald, which currently occurs at newsstands near UW-Madison facility entrances, is an example of expressive activity currently banned by this rule, Schweber said. Lucas did not immediately comment on whether distribution of campus newspapers could continue within the 25-foot zone and later said it was clear the policy would not prevent the distribution of newspapers or conversation “inside buildings.”

“One of the problems of the rules like this is that, if you're the university police, you're going to say, ‘look, we're not going to apply this rule in a stupid way, we're not going to prevent people from distributing The Daily Cardinal, we're only going to prevent people from distributing leaflets that say, ‘Hunter Biden belongs in prison,’” Schweber said. “But that becomes a viewpoint discrimination. You're not allowed to have rules like this and apply them only against certain expressions and not others.”

UW-Madison must enforce protest policies in a “content neutral” manner, meaning they cannot distinguish how they enforce restrictions on speech based on the content.

Schweber said in order for the policy to be enforced in a neutral manner, the university must place a ban on student newspapers and “every other printed material within that 25-foot radius.”

Schweber said “chilling effects” can occur when limitations on free expression are too vague, such as this policy. Chilling effects refer to unintended over-deterrence of free speech, including by self-censorship.

“In order to avoid getting into trouble, people engage in self censorship,” Schweber said. “To avoid getting into trouble, the smart thing to do is just stop talking when you get within 25 feet of an entrance, which is neither the intention of the rule, nor an acceptable rule, if that were the intention of it in the first place.”

The past, future

The recent protest restrictions followed active pro-Palestine protests in the spring, including during a 12-day encampment on Library Mall.

“Universities have gotten in trouble last year, both for suppressing pro-Palestinian speech and for suppressing pro-Israel speech, so it can get complicated,” Schweber said. “The thing a university has to do is keep sight of basic First Amendment and academic freedom principles.”

A group of UW-Madison students facing disciplinary proceedings for their role in the pro-Palestine encampment previously shared a statement with the Cardinal accusing UW-Madison of attempting to “silence students and staff who have stood in solidarity with Palestine” in their efforts to penalize protesters. 

Indiana University Bloomington enacted similar restrictions on expressive activity, including restrictions on expressive activity between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. The ACLU of Indiana filed a lawsuit challenging the policy Thursday. 

Editor’s Note: This article was updated on Wednesday, Sept. 4 at 6 p.m. to add comment from the ACLU of Wisconsin. 

Noe Goldhaber

Noe Goldhaber is the college news editor and former copy chief for The Daily Cardinal. She is a Statistics and Journalism major and has specialized on a wide range of campus topics including protests, campus labor, student housing, free speech and campus administration. She has done data analysis and visualization for the Cardinal on a number of stories. Follow her on Twitter at @noegoldhaber.