Thursday, September 12, 2024
DNC_2024_Tuesday_Program-03.jpg
Former President Barak Obama and first lady Michelle Obama walk on stage at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago, Ill. on August 20, 2024.

Obamas ignite crowd with back-to-back speeches on night two of the DNC

Former President Barack Obama and former First Lady Michelle Obama threw their enthusiastic support behind Vice President Kamala Harris’ presidential campaign at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago.

CHICAGO — Former President Barack Obama and former First Lady Michelle Obama called for unity behind the Democratic presidential ticket in back-to-back speeches at the Democratic National Convention Tuesday. 

The Democratic presidential ticket was selected unconventionally after President Joe Biden ended his reelection bid on July 21. Vice President Kamala Harris became the favored successor following swift endorsements from Biden and other prominent Democrats. 

The Obamas — who hold significant power in the Democratic Party — endorsed Harris on July 26, ending days of speculation over whether they would support her.

Shifting away from heavy policy discussion, the Obamas  hyped up the former president’s vice president’s vice president and running mate, and the crowd didn’t seem to mind. 

Michelle uplifts Harris’-record while digging in to Trump’s

In front of an electric United Center, Michelle shifts the spotlight to  Harris' working-class background in contrast to her billionaire Republican opponent, former President Donald Trump. Some volunteers and local concession workers took turns briefly leaving their posts to catch a glimpse of her speech. 

From a middle-class household, she worked her way up to become vice president of the United States of America. Kamala Harris is more than ready for this moment. She is one of the most qualified people ever to seek the office of the presidency,” Michelle said.  

Michelle, one of the most popular Democratic Party figures despite her aversion to running for office herself, touted Harris and vice presidential nominee Tim Walz’s record while strongly condemning  Trump and the Republican Party, marking a divergence from her 2016 convention speech when she said, “when they go low, we go high.”

“America, hope is making a comeback,” the former first lady said. “Donald Trump did everything in his power to try to make people fear us. It’s his same old con: doubling down on ugly, misogynistic, racist lies as a substitute for real ideas and solutions that will actually make people’s lives better.” 

She also criticized policies that oppose abortion rights and IVF, banning books and shutting down the Department of Education. 

The former first lady called on the audience to “do something,” emphasizing that supporters will need to work hard over the next 11 weeks if they want to win the election.

“​​Don’t just sit around and complain,” Michelle told the crowd. “If they lie about her, and they will, we’ve got to do something.”

Former President Obama thanked Biden 

Receiving another warm welcome from the crowd, former President Barack Obama spoke of his first big decision as the Democratic nominee in 2008, asking Biden to serve as his vice president. 

“History will remember Joe Biden as a president who defended democracy at a moment of great danger. I am proud to call him my president, but even prouder to call him my friend,” the former president said. “Now the torch has been passed.” 

Obama, the first Black president in U.S. history, told voters they need to show the world America is ready to elect Harris, who is of Jamaican and Indian heritage and would be the nation’s first female president. 

“America is ready for a new chapter. America’s ready for a better story. We are ready for a President Kamala Harris,” Obama said. 

Obama also promoted Harris’ proposals on homeownership, which includes downpayment assistance for first-time homebuyers. 

“If we want to make it easier for more young people to buy a home, we need to build more units and clear away some of the outdated laws and regulations that have made it harder to build homes for working people in this country,” he said. 

Wednesday’s slate of speakers is set to include Walz, U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg and former U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. 

Ty Javier

Ty Javier is a staff writer and photographer at The Daily Cardinal. He is an Economics major and has specialized in university finances and trains. He also has covered breaking campus news and protests.