Monday, September 09, 2024
news_UWMilwaukee.jpg

UW-Milwaukee’s school of engineering ranked 134th nation-wide and eighth regionally. 

UW-Milwaukee police chief resigns amid investigation, criticizes university’s treatment of campus antisemitism

A UW-Milwaukee spokesperson told The Daily Cardinal they found out about David Salazar's resignation as UW-Milwaukee chief of police through the media.

Former University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Chief of Police David Salazar announced his resignation Thursday, citing difficulties with university administrators beginning in March. 

Salazar said he was concerned about antisemitism on campus, false accusations leading to a misconduct investigation against him and alleged mishandling of his investigation in a statement shared with local media.

“After much contemplation, I have concluded that my trust in University leadership is broken.Therefore, I have chosen to resign and pursue opportunities,” he said.

A UWM spokesperson said in a statement to The Daily Cardinal university officials found out about Salazar’s resignation through the media and expressed disappointment that Salazar “chose to make false accusations against the institution and its employees to deflect against his own misdeeds.”

The university placed Salazar on administrative leave in April for a violation of the university’s Discriminatory Conduct and Consensual Relationship Policy, for “surveilling a female police officer,” according to his statement. Salazar said on June 3 he was found not guilty of these charges and returned to his position. 

On July 19, Salazar was notified of another possible UWM Code of Conduct violation.

Salazar said university ‘reluctant to address’ antisemitic incidents

Salazar expressed disagreement with the university’s handling of rising antisemitism last spring, saying leadership was “reluctant to address” antisemitic incidents. 

In April, the Milwaukee Jewish Federation and Hillel Milwaukee came to UW-Milwaukee Chancellor Mark Mone with concerns of antisemitism at an on-campus Jewish cultural event. Mone handed the investigation to Salazar, who determined the claims of antisemitism were true, according to Salazar’s statement.

“My conclusion that antisemitism was present on campus was challenged by Head Legal Counsel, Joely Urdan, but supported by Chia Vang, the Vice Chancellor of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion,” Salazar said in the statement. 

UW-Milwaukee recently suspended five student organizations for “intimidating” posts and characterizing local Jewish groups as “genocide extremists” not welcome on campus in an Instagram story.  

Mone stepped down from his position as Chancellor last month after facing backlash from Jewish community members and UW System officials over his management of the pro-Palestine encampments and a May statement he made condemning genocide in Gaza.

Salazar calls for investigation into his April misconduct case

Salazar said he contacted UW System President Jay Rothman for an investigation regarding what Salazar believed was misconduct in the handling of his initial administrative leave case.

“To date, I have never received any information or have been questioned relating to any such allegation,” his statement said. “Despite my full cooperation, it has become obvious that the investigative process is corrupted, and the outcome is preordained.”

UWM said Salazar resigned “in anticipation of the investigation’s outcome.”

This resignation is effective immediately. UW-Milwaukee Police Capt. Brian Switala will serve as interim chief of police. 

Bryna Goeking

Bryna Goeking is the arts editor for The Daily Cardinal. She also reports on campus news. Follow her on twitter @BrynaGoeking.