Thursday, September 19, 2024
Selvedge sparks future designers

Emily Julka/The Daily Cardinal

A guide to fall trends as the seasons change

As New York Fashion Week wraps up, The Daily Cardinal spotlights the upcoming fall trends you should look out for during this back-to-school season.

Of all four seasons, fall fashion trends always seem to catch my eye the most. Every year, the possibilities of style choices seem overwhelming, and it seems impossible to figure out what the “cool girls” are wearing for back-to-school season. With New York Fashion Week officially over, and Pinterest overflowing with inspiration, I’ve created the perfect “go-to”  list of the upcoming fall trends you need to keep your eye on.

This year’s color palette: olive green, chocolate brown, burgundy red and butter yellow 

Carrying over from the summer, butter yellow is staying in the spotlight for fall. Mix and match any of the darker colors listed above with a jean or white, and you’ve got the perfect outfit color scheme for fall 2024. Although some of these colors have been in trend for a while, they are  turning into staple and timeless colors that will elevate any outfit. 

Suede everything 

Last year’s material of choice was leather, this year you can add to your outfit with the help of suede. With accessories like boots and purses, and larger articles like oversized jackets, suede is the perfect way to spice up a look. Luckily, thrift stores are overflowing with suede so make sure to visit your local second-hand shop such as Goodwill or Ragstock. 

Denim on denim on denim 

Carrying over from the summer’s “coastal cowgirl aesthetic,” dark-wash denim is in. According to Glamour’s Jake Henry Smith, “labels like Schiaparelli, Moschino and Skall Studio” were showcasing their denim-packed looks on the runways this fall. You are guaranteed to find halter tops, button up jackets, long western skirts and the perfect boot cut jeans — all in denim. 

Big jumper and a long lacy skirt  

An overarching theme of this fall’s trends is a play on western style, and this outfit equation is no exception. Layering an oversized knit sweater over any long and flowy skirt creates the most comfortable (and fashionable) outfit. Playing around with see-through lace, silk or a classic cotton skirt can tailor this trend uniquely to you. 

Party animals 

Will we ever get tired of animal print? No: leopard print is here to stay for the fall season. The obvious option is to find a high-neck tank or the viral leopard print jeans. However, if you want to add a more subtle hint of animal print, there are other options. Talia Abbas, a senior shopping editor, told Vogue her plans to use “a patterned clutch, a silk scarf knotted around a bag handle, or a phone-hair flat to amp up a neutral look.”  

Your bag needs some jewels too 

If you don’t want to add any more pieces to your closet, the easiest way to stay on trend this fall is by accessorizing your bag. Brands such as Coach and Anthropologie have charm options for everyone. 

Trying to save money? Plan a DIY night and create your own. Reuse your hair ribbon from last spring to add a little feminine touch to your bag strap or visit your local craft store and pick out beads galore. 

The biggest trend of this fall is being you. Take any of the trends on this year’s radar and make it your own. Adding your own personal touch is the best way to stay fashionable.