Monday, September 30, 2024
Wisconsin Badgers vs Rutgers Scarlet Knights 03.07.24
Badgers Claw Their Way to Victory Over Scarlet Knights in men's basketball

Big Ten unveils 2024-2025 men’s basketball conference schedule

Wisconsin men’s basketball team’s season is fully set out following the release of their schedule against Big Ten opponents.

The Big Ten laid out the 2024-2025 Men’s Basketball conference schedule for their now 18-team conference on Sept. 19. 

The 2024-25 season marks the seventh straight year that Big Ten teams find themselves in a 20-conference game schedule. The Wisconsin Badgers are no stranger to being competitive in conference play and look to continue their efforts in the upcoming season. 

Wisconsin is one of three Big Ten teams who will open conference play at home, hosting the University of Michigan Wolverines on Dec. 3. The Badgers have gone 4-6 in their last 10 games against the Wolverines dating back to 2018. 

Exactly a week after their first Big Ten matchup of the season, Wisconsin will take to the road to face off against Illinois. Last season saw the Badgers end their title hopes by falling to the Fighting Illini 93-87, stopping their pursuit of a fourth Big Ten Tournament championship. 

Illinois is one of three Big Ten teams that head coach Greg Gard and company will play twice on this schedule. The other two schools are Minnesota (Jan. 10, 2025 and Mar. 15, 2025) and Iowa (Jan. 3rd, 2025 and Feb. 8, 2025). 

Four new members joining the Big Ten means four fresh matchups for the Badgers. Between USC, UCLA and Oregon, Wisconsin has only played these teams a total of six times in its 126 season-long history. Their game against Washington on Feb. 22 will be the first time the two programs have met on the court, adding excitement for fans who get to see matchups that have not been staples in Badger history. 

Wisconsin will head to the West Coast in January to visit the newly-joined Big Ten California teams, playing USC on Jan. 18, 2025 and UCLA shortly after on Jan. 21, 2025. A month later, they’ll get to host the other two new members. Oregon will stop at the Kohl Center on Feb. 22, 2025. Three days later, the Washington Huskies will come to town on Feb. 25, 2025. 

In a great test, the last 18 games of the regular season will put the Badgers up against Big Ten opponents. Unlike past seasons, the elimination of a guaranteed tournament entry poses a threat: only 15 Big Ten teams will make it to the conference tournament. Even with the expectation of tournament success, advantageous seeding placement can be in play for the Badgers throughout this 18-game stretch winding down the season. 

Wisconsin will look to improve off their Big Ten Tournament final appearance by improving their regular season conference showings. The Badgers have gone an even 20-20 in the past two seasons against other Big Ten schools. If last year's tournament was any indicator, this group has the ability to reach double-digit conference wins again.