Tuesday, September 17, 2024
news_oshkosh.jpg

UW-Oshkosh Titan Advantage Program supports more than 50 students this year — more than three times the previous amount in their five-year run — to increase accessibility to underrepresented students at the university. 

Cardinal View: UW System doesn’t grasp the impact of campus closures on students

After a lack of communication from UW System officials, many communities and students face uncertainty and isolation with higher education after a myriad of branch campuses closed.

Classes have started for university and technical college students across Wisconsin. But after the rapid shuttering of University of Wisconsin System branch campuses, many students have no campus to return to. 

Outside of four-year institutions like UW-Madison, UW System branch campuses primarily service in-state students in rural or suburban communities seeking associates degrees. These programs offer students an education in a wide breadth of liberal arts, fine arts and science disciplines while only taking two years to complete.

But UW-Platteville Richland, UW-Milwaukee at Washington County, UW-Oshkosh Fond du Lac and UW-Green Bay Marinette closed this year. UW-Milwaukee at Waukesha and UW-Oshkosh at Fox Cities will close in 2025. Some campuses will transition to online learning as an alternative after the closures. 

Why? Enrollment is dropping, and branch campuses are losing money. One analysis of UW-Oshkosh at Fox Cities predicted fewer than 100 students may be enrolled at the campus by 2032. As a result, the UW System has begun to close branch campuses and turn away from associate degree programs as they fail to prove financially sustainable.

While university officials promise these closures will not mean a drop in students’ access to higher education, we can’t help but notice that students are singing a different tune.

Students and faculty at these branch campuses say they have been left in limbo by closures. They have been forced to transfer to degree programs in more expensive areas, rush to complete programs before their campus shuts down or abandon their pursuit of higher education altogether. 

It’s no secret the price of college tuition and housing have increased in recent years. For students seeking alternatives to this standard four-year bachelor's degree path, branch campuses provided a consistent, affordable option.

And though technical colleges remain a viable option for some students, it is associates degrees that uniquely afford an education for many students for whom four-year universities are too expensive or too far away from home. With this sort of degree specifically targeted in downsizing, students cannot always easily transition to another school or program.

It isn’t as simple as transitioning to online learning, which excludes classes that require in-person work, or moving to another campus. Additionally, some students reported difficulty transferring credits from their branch campus to a different college, which adds additional costs and time needed to complete their degrees.

The lack of transparency alongside UW System cuts is concerning. Limited coverage means many students on surviving UW System campuses likely remain unaware of the extent of the cuts. Students on branch campuses are unsure of what, if any, options can be taken through these closures. University higher-ups and state officials ought to understand the opportunities they are taking away, including those who seek out these two-year programs.

But in spite of the fact  these branch campuses are funded jointly by the UW System and counties that host them, some officials felt left in the dark about crucial downsizing decisions that affect their communities. Tom Nelson, Outagamie County executive, expressed disappointment at the UW System’s lack of transparency throughout this process. Following a recommendation for the UW-Oshkosh at Fox Cities closure on April 30, the absence of thorough communication left county officials uninformed on these significant decisions. 

UW System officials must do more to support students at closing branch campuses, including through potential financial assistance and more ease in transferring credits to other schools. Certainly, they need to give these students as many options as possible to continue their education and provide a comprehensive transition when their branch campus is next on the chopping block. 

We acknowledge the UW System is in a difficult financial situation, especially given the restraints set by the Republican-controlled state Legislature, and that the closure of branch campuses may be necessary to preserve the system in the long term. 

But what must not be forgotten is that the UW System serves its students first and foremost, especially those who would have few opportunities for higher education without them. 

After these closures, it is essential that the UW System prioritize the continued education of affected students. Those who are unsure of their next steps should be met with resources and a clear overview of their options. After upending the educational and financial plans that students at these schools laid out, it’s the least the UW System can do.