Thursday, September 19, 2024
liz waters

A female student reported an aggravated assault and strong-arm robbery in Elizabeth Waters Residence Hall Monday. 

Dear University Housing, bring back all female-identifying residence halls

When looking at sexual violence on campus, the need for this space becomes particularly clear.

As freshmen arrived on campus this year, they eagerly unpacked their belongings from their parents’ mini-van and settled into their new homes — likely a dorm with a roommate or two.  

At the University of Wisconsin-Madison, 90% of the first-year students live on campus. With more than 20 residence halls on campus to choose from, offering a variety of sizes, locations and even specific learning communities, you would think it would be easy for students to find the perfect dorm. But UW Housing is notably missing an alternative that focuses on the safety of its students: an all-female-identifying residence hall.

These kinds of dorms used to be common on campus, the first of which was built in 1871 and is now known as Chadbourne Hall. Despite those dorms still being on campus, the rules have changed a lot since then. Women’s halls used to have strict housing rules, including earlier curfews and scheduled visitations that restricted the college experience for those who lived there. 

Along with residence hall rules changing, unfortunately, what some students would have considered the “perfect fit” was phased out entirely in 2006 when Waters Residence Hall, the last remaining all female-identifying hall, transitioned to be co-ed. 

While some students saw the move as progressive, a safe space had been taken away from others. This shift sparked conversations on campus regarding inclusivity and safety, raising important questions on how the university can prioritize both.

But when looking at sexual violence on campus, the need for this safe space becomes particularly clear. 

In the time between the start of the new semester and Thanksgiving break — known as the “red zone” — sexual assaults on campus are on the rise, accounting for around half of all campus sexual violence in a given year. Within that violence on campus, a recent study found that 81% of all reported rapes and assaults take place in college dorms. This tends to leave female-identifying freshmen especially vulnerable to the risks of sexual violence.

For many freshmen, regardless of gender identity, college is their first significant experience away from home. This newfound sense of freedom in a new environment can be exciting but also scary. Whether it was walking down State Street or going to Memorial Union every place felt terrifying during my first week on campus but eventually the campus became home.

After spending time socializing and exploring, students head back to their dorms. At UW-Madison, these are all co-ed. A dorm should be a safe space for students, but instead, for people who have experienced trauma, it could turn into a place full of anxiety. 

Without the option of an all female-identifying dorm on campus, some female-identifying students are forced to feel uncomfortable — or even unsafe — in their own living spaces. Those who have been assaulted are forced to endure encounters with individuals who may remind them of that trauma. With sexual assault having one of the highest risks of PTSD, the constant presence of those reminders can make the process of healing seem impossible. 

For students, returning to their dorm after a long day should be something that they look forward to as opposed to dread. It’s time for University Housing to do more to guarantee the promise of safety for women on campus.

Reinstating at least one all female-identifying dorm would provide a much-needed sense of security and comfort. It will offer a refuge for students who are trying to establish themselves in a new environment while navigating the challenges of freshman year. 

Having this option available for those who want it wouldn’t mean segregating the entire campus or endorsing outdated gender norms. Instead, it recognizes the need for diverse living arrangements that can accommodate the varying needs of students. Just as some students thrive in co-ed environments, others might find greater comfort and safety in an all female-identifying dorm. By offering both options, UW-Madison could better support all its students.

Lillie Sunby is a Sophomore studying psychology, communications and political science. Do you agree that UW Housing needs to bring back an all female-identifying residence hall? Send all comments to opinion@dailycardinal.com.