Thursday, September 26, 2024
Quagga mussels.jpg
Courtesy of Greg Marks/NOAA Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory/Flickr Quagga mussels from a fish trawl sample photographed in Lake Michigan, August 2006.

Discovery of invasive mussels in Lake Geneva deepens Wisconsin’s water crisis

Quagga mussels, an invasive species first discovered in Lake Geneva last month, threaten the ecological balance of Wisconsin’s lakes and motivate new conservation efforts.

In a concerning development for Wisconsin’s cherished lakes, local and state officials discovered invasive quagga mussels in Geneva Lake last month, marking the first recorded presence of this species in an inland lake in the state. 

The find, confirmed by the Geneva Lake Environmental Agency (GLEA) after routine monitoring, raised significant environmental concerns among advocates and local communities alike.

What are quagga mussels?

Quagga mussels (Dreissena rostriformis bugensis), native to the Dnieper River in Ukraine, were first introduced to the Great Lakes in 1989, likely through ballast water from international shipping. They have spread rapidly across North America since then, outcompeting native species and disrupting local ecosystems. 

Unlike zebra mussels, another invasive species that poses a threat to freshwater environments, quagga mussels have demonstrated a greater capacity for adaptation and resilience. They thrive in colder, deeper waters, allowing them to inhabit a broader range of ecosystems. 

“Knowing what we know about quaggas and their ability to live on soft bottoms, it will be very important to monitor how they do in inland lakes,” said Jake Vander Zanden, professor and director of the Center of Limnology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. 

Quagga mussels can also filter vast amounts of water, leading to increased clarity but ultimately reducing the population of phytoplankton that are crucial for the food web. As these mussels proliferate, they can alter nutrient cycles and affect the growth of aquatic plants and animals, potentially leading to significant ecological imbalances.

Quagga mussels disrupt local ecosystems

The introduction of quagga mussels into Geneva Lake raised alarms about the potential ecological repercussions not just for the lake itself, but for Wisconsin’s waterways as a whole, including Lake Mendota. As the largest lake in the Madison area, Lake Mendota is home to a diverse array of fish and other aquatic organisms.

The interconnectedness of Wisconsin’s waterways means that an invasive species in one lake can easily spread to another through boat traffic, fishing gear or natural water movements.

Lake Mendota faces its own set of challenges from invasive species, such as zebra mussels and the spiny water flea, which have already disrupted local ecosystems. The introduction of quagga mussels could exacerbate these issues, further threatening the lake’s biodiversity and the recreational activities that depend on it. Anglers, boaters and nature enthusiasts who frequent these waters may find their experiences diminished as invasive species take hold. 

Discovery sparks community conservation efforts

The discovery of quagga mussels in Geneva Lake galvanized local communities and environmental advocates to take action. James Olson, a Wisconsin resident and attorney at LawtonCates, is spearheading an essential environmental initiative focused on addressing the critical issue of aquatic invasive species in the state’s lakes. 

This initiative centers around the “home lake” rule and targets wake boats, which can unintentionally transport invasive species between water bodies. Olson is joined by his paralegal, Kelsie Kufhal, who plays a crucial role in supporting this initiative.

The initiative highlights the urgent need for preventive measures in response to the recent discovery of quagga mussels in Geneva Lake. Olson encourages community members to participate in monitoring efforts and practices for preventing the spread of invasive species. 

Collaboration among local agencies, environmental organizations and state officials will be crucial in developing effective management strategies. The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources is expected to play a significant role in these efforts.