Monday, September 16, 2024
Drake White-Bergey MPD Police.JPG

Police officers from the Madison Police Department, University of Wisconsin Police Department and Wisconsin State Capitol Police responded to a shooting on the 100 block of State Street on Tuesday night.

MPD detains multiple men after reports of gunshots downtown

The Madison Police Department arrived on Gilman Street just after 10:30 p.m. following reports of gunshots.

Content Warning: This article contains sensitive information.

The Madison Police Department arrested one person Friday night following reports of gunshots on Gilman Street in downtown Madison.

Police responded at about 10:38 p.m. to the parking lot of the James Apartments facing West Gilman Street, according to Dane County Dispatch

Officers confronted a subject with the firearm, and MPD fired shots, according to an incident report released at 7:30 a.m. Saturday. Multiple people were detained, though only one subject was transported to the Dane County Jail. No one was struck by gunfire, and officers recovered a firearm.

One person not involved in the incident sustained minor injuries likely due to broken glass, according to the incident report. 

There was heavy police presence, and officers were rolling out caution tape and counting shell casings, according to a WMTV reporter on scene Friday night. WMTV also reported on Twitter that MPD took one male into custody.

As of 9:08 a.m., no WiscAlert has been sent to campus.

The Dane County Sheriff's Department is leading leading the investigation. 

The University of Wisconsin-Madison Police Department and MPD could not immediately be reached for comment. 

This story was updated on Saturday, Sept. 7 at 8:56 a.m. 

State News Editor Anna Kleiber contributed to this article. 

Gavin Escott

Gavin Escott is the campus news editor for the Daily Cardinal. He has covered protests, breaking news and written in-depth on Wisconsin politics and higher education. He is the former producer of the Cardinal Call podcast. Follow him on X at @gav_escott.