Wednesday, September 18, 2024
Katie Gavin
Katie Gavin leads Muna in Nov. 2022. Photo courtesy of Eric Mc via Flickr.

Muna’s Katie Gavin goes solo with new sapphic single

Katie Gavin gives fans a taste of her upcoming solo record with her debut single “Aftertaste.”

Just when you thought the summer of 2024 had hit the limit of the feminine pop excellence, Muna’s Katie Gavin swooped in with a catchy new sapphic single to prove that the limit does not exist. 

Gavin’s debut single “Aftertaste,” released on July 23, gives fans a taste of Gavin’s eclectic folk inspired upcoming album “What a Relief.”

Gavin first hit the scene as the frontman of Muna, an indie band formed in 2013, best known for their queer pop anthems like “Silk Chiffon” and the semi-erotic interactions that grace the stages of their live performances. 

Gavin’s "Aftertaste," is a song that, along with being the ultimate earworm, captures themes of queer love derivative of a classic Muna song, while channeling an acoustic folk sound that sets Gavin’s solo work apart from the band. 

Written by Gavin and produced by Tony Berg —longtime collaborator of Grammy-winning singer-songwriter Phoebe Bridgers — the song describes the overwhelming emotions that come with a crush so intense it has the power to bring you out to parties and concerts just for the chance that you might see them there. 

In tandem with the single, Gavin put out the “Aftertaste” music video, in which she took the lyrics to a very literal level. Gavin plays the role of the nude model for an art class, a direct reference to the song’s chorus. 

“I feel naked when you look my way,” Gavin sings. 

The video served to further strengthen her vision and voice as a solo artist, exciting fans with this preview of the unique and provocative perspective that we can expect throughout the rest of the record. 

Along with “Aftertaste,” Gavin announced her upcoming LP titled “What a Relief,” slated to release Oct. 25 under Bridgers’ record label, Saddest Factory Records. 

“What a Relief” will have 12 songs, including a feature with indie singer Mitski on track five titled “As Good As It Gets.”

Gavin collaborated with more than just Mitski while making the record. During an episode of Gayotic, Muna’s weekly podcast, Gavin revealed that Amber Bain of the Japanese House lent a hand in the album’s production. 

And for those Muna fans worried about losing their beloved trio, you need not fret. 

“We're still a band. We're still coming for your ass,” Gavin clarified on a recent episode of Gayotic. 

“What a Relief” is out Oct.25. Presave the LP here.