Thursday, September 19, 2024
Nancy Pelosi Sept 16
Rep. Nancy Pelosi speaks at the Cap Times Idea Fest on September 16, 2024 in Madison, Wis.

Nancy Pelosi speaks on upcoming election stakes, necessity of unity to elect a Democratic House

The 19-term California representative and speaker emeritus spotlighted her new book “The Art of Power” during the Cap Times Idea Fest.

U.S. Rep. and former Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi discussed her political career, the “responsibility” students play in the upcoming presidential election and her new book at a packed Shannon Hall Monday evening. 

The talk, held on the second night of the 8th annual Cap Times Idea Fest, was the keynote event. The festival runs from Sept. 15 through Sept. 21 and brings leaders from diverse fields to discuss Wisconsin’s efforts to “reach a better state.” 

Pelosi, who has represented San Francisco in Congress for 19 terms, is regarded as one of the most consequential House Speakers in the modern era. Her visit to Madison comes as she released a book last month, “The Art of Power,” which details her rise to the peak of political power and her role in passing landmark legislation.  

Pelosi spoke with Washington Post columnist Karen Tumulty on the state of American democracy and the integral role students will play in November. 

“I’m here in Wisconsin because of your importance,” Pelosi said. "I want all of you to know the power you hold in all of this and to know your responsibility in all of this.”

Pelosi highlighted the importance of electing Democrats to the House of Representatives, calling it “absolutely essential” House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries receives a majority. She noted the crucial role members of Congress play in ratifying the presidential election results. 

Other topics included Pelosi’s start in politics and her motivation in running for Congress.

Pelosi referenced her actions as a volunteer in the 1970s and identified her “why” in politics: to reduce child hunger. “What bothered me was that one in five children go to sleep hungry each night. So that was my mission.” 

Tumulty asked about a key moment in Pelosi’s political career — securing enough votes to pass the Affordable Care Act (ACA) without a filibuster-proof majority.

Pelosi described it as the “opportunity [and] challenge of a generation,” adding presidents stretching back to the 1950s had tried to pass it and fallen short.

“We weren’t going to let anything stand in our way… we just pushed open the gate,” Pelosi said. 

She also firmly rejected Trump’s characterization of himself as a defender of the ACA in Tuesday's presidential debate, saying he “definitely wanted to get rid of it because that’s where the money was.” 

The conversation shifted when Tumuly asked Pelosi about a lack of “optimism” in the past week, referencing former President Donald Trump's unsubstantiated claims surrounding Haitian immigrants and the second assassination attempt of Trump. Pelosi responded with a call for unity. 

“Hope is where it always has been sitting in between faith and charity,”  Pelosi said. “We find our common ground. Our diversity is our strength but our unity is our power.” 

Quintessa Ganski, a 2024 University of Wisconsin-Madison graduate, told The Daily Cardinal after the event Pelosi’s message on unity resonated with her.

“I think she talked a lot about the generational impact we have as young voters,” Ganski said, noting she hoped the message would connect with other young voters.

Pelosi is among other high profile political attendees, including former Wisconsin Gov. Tommy Thompson and former U.S. Rep. Liz Cheney, who will speak this week in Shannon Hall on similar subjects.