Thursday, September 26, 2024
HarrisRally_Spinney-32.jpg
Vice President Kamala Harris smiles with her hands outstretched as a crowd of supporters cheer during a rally at the Alliant Energy Center in Madison, Wis. on September, 20, 2024.

Rallies won’t educate you. That’s your job

When you like a candidate, it isn’t always for the right reasons.

A campaign rally or a Wisconsin football game?

The atmosphere in the Alliant Energy Center on Friday merged both. Vice President Harris’ team knew what they were doing. They got everyone up hours before Harris even stepped on stage by playing the one song that will get any Wisconsin student on their feet: Jump Around. Shortly thereafter, campaign staff handed out signs reading “Badgers for Harris-Walz” that attendees excitedly waved around. 

Much like after a football game, there was a sense of solidarity. Even though it’s a good feeling, it’s not in your best interest to vote based on a feeling. 

Local politicians and community leaders spoke fervently of both Wisconsin and national politics to energize the crowd. Speakers, such as Sen. Tammy Baldwin, U.S. Rep. Mark Pocan and Gov. Tony Evers took the podium to share their support for Harris and remind attendees of the importance of their vote in November. 

Then, Harris stepped out. She took her time walking out to “Freedom” by Beyoncé, turning around repeatedly as she made her way to the podium to make sure everyone in the audience could see her clap, wave, point and smile.

Even though I planned on keeping her platform at the forefront of my mind, the energy in the room got the best of me.

For the next 30 minutes, she held everyone in a trance. When she spoke of leading with joy, you could see smiles across the stands. When she spoke about the state of abortion rights, I could feel her conviction and thinly veiled anger. By the time she was done, the stadium was so loud, you could hardly hear the person next to you rushing you to leave before traffic started.

I’ll be honest, it worked on me. I resonated with her frustrations as a woman of color, and I so badly wanted to share her optimistic view for the future. But as I walked out of the stadium, I contemplated if I truly agreed with her political views any more than I did when I arrived, or if I was caught up in the excitement of seeing, potentially, the next president. 

That’s the point of events like these, for you to associate a feeling with a candidate instead of  facts and issues. After all, it’s easier to cast a vote when you feel like you know the person than when you’re stuck reading about them online. Coming from a campaign standpoint, it’s a smart move.

But it’s not one we should fall victim to.

Despite her team’s concerted effort to curate a very specific atmosphere, we should remember to remain critical and keep her platform in mind. I was personally reminded of this when I started walking home and saw pro-Palestine demonstrators gathered outside the arena. 

There’s a reason why during her debate with former President Trump, she supported Israel regarding the war in Gaza, yet there was no mention of her support for Israel during her rally. And who’s to blame her? She knows it’s a divisive subject that’s fracturing her Democratic base.

This excitement isn’t unique to Harris supporters. No matter the candidate, it’s exciting to see who you’re going to vote for. It’s an opportunity everyone should absolutely take advantage of. But going to a rally and hearing from the candidate themself doesn’t absolve you of your civic responsibility to independently inform yourself of their stances and actions.

Surya Sethi is a sophomore studying political science and international studies. Do you agree that you shouldn't let a rally determine your vote? Send all comments to opinion@dailycardinal.com.