Thursday, September 26, 2024
Wisconsin Volleyball vs UIC

Sarah Franklin continues her dominance this season

After earning numerous honors for her performance in 2023, Wisconsin’s star hitter will look to send the Badgers back to a national title in her final year.

University of Wisconsin-Madison volleyball star Sarah Franklin was named American Volleyball Coaches Association National Player of the Year, First Team All-American and Big Ten Player of the Year all in just one season. 

These are pretty serious accolades. The fifth-year outside hitter is known for her breakout performance last year, but how did she work her way up to becoming so successful on the volleyball court?

Franklin hails from Lake Worth, Florida and began playing volleyball at age 11. In high school, she won the state championship with the Lake Worth Christian varsity team and the national championship with her club team at Palm Beach Juniors. Franklin’s collegiate career started at Michigan State University, where she played in 2020 and 2021. Franklin transferred to Wisconsin after two seasons in Michigan.

“I chose the University of Wisconsin because of the high drive of the team culture to be the best we can be everyday,” Franklin said in her official team biography.

Under the guidance of renowned head coach Kelly Sheffield, Franklin has flourished as a Wisconsin Badger. She led the Badgers in kills per set in both 2022 and 2023, with 3.51 and 4.15 kills per set, respectively. 

She achieved career-highs in kills (28) and points (31.5) against Purdue on Nov. 17, 2023. Franklin also played a crucial role in Wisconsin’s Big Ten Championship win in 2022 as well as NCAA National Tournament runs to the Elite Eight in 2022 and Final Four in 2023.

But Franklin is no stranger to obstacles. In the summer of 2023, she was diagnosed with Quadrilateral Space Syndrome and had to have blood clots surgically removed from her forearm. There was a risk  she wouldn’t be able to play after surgery, but Franklin was able to move past her health scare and get back on the court.

Since the 2024 season began, Franklin has continued to be a dominant force for Wisconsin volleyball, showcasing her hard-working attitude and grit as one of the team’s top players. Franklin is a team captain this year and has already racked up 162 kills, 88 digs and 16 blocks in the first ten games. She is on pace to hit 2,000 career kills as a Badger sometime in the next few games.

Franklin’s dominant court presence, energy and effort on the volleyball court is thrilling to watch. In her final season, Franklin will look to lead the Badgers to another national championship this year.