Tuesday, September 17, 2024
Voting Polls April 2 2024-6.jpg
A student votes in the Wisconsin primary elections at Memorial Union on April 2, 2024.

Students are hesitant to vote. There’s no excuse not to

With the news and resources at young people’s fingertips, we have every reason to go to the polls.

Voting is one of the most important rights that we have, but it is often taken for granted. From age 18, American citizens can help decide the fate of their country through their vote. It is one of the most significant impacts an American can have on their rights and the future of their country.

Even with the high stakes of elections and the endless resources and information at our fingertips, people still manage to find reasons not to vote. Some claim that the outcome will have no effect on them. Others reason that they are simply not educated on the candidates.

In this day and age, the stakes of voting are too high, and the excuses just won’t cut it anymore.

The internet has increased our exposure to news. Young people should have no excuse for being uneducated on political topics when we have all of the necessary information in the palms of our hands. 

Our generation grew up with the internet, and since we make up a large percentage of its users, this makes us the most popular audience for online election news and advertisements. News consumption pertaining to elections is unavoidable. It is even more likely that those seeking a higher education have been exposed to election information from the diverse environment of college campuses

I see advertisements for the upcoming election daily across various social media platforms. Admittedly, with media consumption comes the inevitable issues of misinformation and misleading stories. These sources can corrupt the minds of those searching for information and can lead to individuals believing and spreading falsities. You can avoid this by making sure a story’s sources are trustworthy and by reading multiple articles on the topic so you can form your own opinion.

UW-Madison is home to thousands of people with diverse opinions and backgrounds, all of whom will be affected by the outcome of this presidential election in different ways. This should be reason enough to vote at the upcoming election. Even if you believe the outcome of an election won’t impact you, which is unlikely, you’re interacting first-hand with people who could and will be affected.

Disinterest in some political subject matter is understandable, but state and national elections are important for the future of this country. No one is asking for excessive research, but I can say from personal experience that college students encounter enough news coverage to form an opinion on the candidates. If a student is having an issue with the voting registration process, they can seek out the resources across college campuses that assist students with registration.

The U.S. government is led by adults who come from older generations. They are in charge of what becomes law and how courts rule. But our nation's most important decision is held in the hands of the public, and the upcoming presidential election is the perfect opportunity for young adults’ voices to be heard.

The culture, traditions and makeup of the United States are constantly evolving. With these changes comes an evolution in peoples’ ideals. 

According to a report by the Pew Research Center, “From immigration and race to foreign policy and the scope of government, two younger generations, Millennials and Gen Xers, stand apart from the two older cohorts, Baby Boomers and Silents. And on many issues, Millennials continue to have a distinct – and increasingly liberal – outlook.”

Given the contrasting views between age groups, there should be more diverse ages representing our country. This change begins with young voters who can help lead to a difference in our government. 

Take initiative in what you believe the future of this country should be. Take advantage of the right you have, as you never know when it could be taken away.

Zoey is a staff writer studying Journalism and Political Science. Do you agree that there's no reason not to vote? Send all comments to opinion@dailycardinal.com.