Wednesday, September 18, 2024
WisconsinvSD_Football_9.7.24_Spinney-11.jpg

Tyler Van Dyke ruled out for 2024 season following knee injury

Following a knee injury in the first quarter against Alabama, Wisconsin quarterback Tyler Van Dyke is out for the season.

Wisconsin starting Quarterback Tyler Van Dyke is out for the rest of the 2024 season following a right knee injury in the first quarter of the Badgers’ 42-10 loss to Alabama on Saturday, according to BadgerExtra’s Colton Bartholemew.

“The University of Wisconsin senior quarterback suffered a knee injury Saturday against Alabama, which was confirmed by an MRI Sunday morning, according to two BadgerExtra sources,” Bartholomew reported. “Those sources declined to offer specifics on the injury, but both said Van Dyke will not return to the field this season.”

Van Dyke was carted off the field after his knee buckled when scrambling to the sideline during the seventh play of the game. The Miami transfer reached for his knee after hitting the ground following a tackle. 

ESPN’s Pete Thamel provided clarity on the injury, taking to Twitter that sources told ESPN the injury is a “full ACL tear in his right knee, and the timeline for recovery isn’t clear yet."

The senior completed 63.2% of his throws for 422 yards and a touchdown, along with rushing 26 yards and a touchdown at Wisconsin. 

Following Van Dyke’s early exit against Alabama, Wisconsin looked to Mississippi State transfer Braedyn Locke. The redshirt sophomore completed 50% of his throws for 125 yards against the Crimson Tide defense.

Molly Sheehan

Molly Sheehan is the Sports Editor for the Daily Cardinal. She has covered the Wisconsin Badgers sports teams, written in-depth feature articles including player profiles and game previews, and covered match-ups as a photojournalist. Follow her on X @mollyrsheehan and Instagram @msheehan.photography