Monday, September 16, 2024
Palestine_Paint-2.jpg
Chalk markings reading "Chancellor Mnookin you can't hide, you're committing genocide" is on Library Mall on September 4, 2024.

UWPD investigating pro-Palestine paint on Library Mall

The University of Wisconsin Police Department is investigating pro-Palestine paint left on Library Mall around 3 a.m. on Wednesday, according to a UWPD statement.

Marc Lovicott, UWPD communications director, told The Daily Cardinal the paint called for divestment, criticized UW-Madison’s new expressive activity guidelines and included pro-Palestine messages.

Crews removed most of the paint, according to UWPD. As of 3 p.m. Wednesday, a few chalk messages remained that said “Chancellor Mnookin you can't hide, you’re committing genocide” and “Stop the US war machine from Palestine to the Phillipines.”

Palestine_Paint-3.jpg
Remnants of paint vandalism are on Library Mall on September 4, 2024.

The UWPD statement said the paint and another possibly related graffiti instance from Aug. 27 outside of Witte Hall “involve criminal damage to property in violation of UW-Madison policies on expressive activity.”