Monday, September 16, 2024
Wisconsin Women's Soccer vs Ohio State

Wisconsin soccer star Hailey Baumann enjoyed her own European summer

The University of Wisconsin-Madison defender was named to the US Under-19 Women’s Youth National Team training camp and games against Spain.

While the majority of Badgers spent their summer enjoying some leisure time back home or perhaps working a part-time job, University of Wisconsin-Madison soccer player Hailey Baumann was doing what she does best — exemplifying the skills that solidified her as one of the women’s soccer team’s most valuable assets. 

At just 18 years old, the South Lyon, Michigan native and sophomore defender for the Badgers was called up to the U.S. Women’s Under-19 National Team for training camp and two exhibition matches against Spain.

Alongside 23 other players dawning from colleges across the country, the Wisconsin defender traveled to Palm Beach, Florida for an initial training camp on April 21, the Wisconsin Athletics page reported. Baumann was later placed upon a 20-man roster to play the host nation, Spain, in Alicante, Spain. 

Baumann called the experience an “incredible” one that taught the Wisconsin defender the significance of stressing the small things.

“Playing with the U19 national team this summer really showed me the importance of communication and attention to detail,” Baumann told The Daily Cardinal. “At the national level, there is constant communication between every player on the field. The details make all the difference when you play at a high level.”

Despite falling to Spain in a 3-0 loss the first game and the second match ending in a 3-3 draw, Baumann was grateful for the leadership she consistently saw throughout the U-19 camps and games.

“The girls I've played with at the national level are always very encouraging, but they will also demand better from people around them when the intensity isn't where it needs to be,” Baumann said. “I want to step up as a leader myself this college season, helping to make the players around me better and raise the level of our environment.”

Those who witnessed Baumann’s rise can attest to the high level of play she brought to the field. 

In just her first season, Baumann was named to the All-Big Ten Freshman Team and the All-Big Ten Third Team by the Big Ten Conference. She was also ranked No. 21 in the Top Drawer Soccer Postseason Top-100 Freshman list, according to Wisconsin Soccer.

This collegiate season, Baumann hopes to make an impact on both sides of the ball and contribute to the team’s success. 

“I want to be one of the best defenders in the Big Ten,” Baumann said. “For our team, the goal is definitely to win the Big Ten regular season and tournament and make a deep run in the NCAA Tournament.”

Baumann also found excitement in the newfound recognition defenders are beginning to receive, the U.S. Women’s National Team’s Naomi Girma being one of them.

“I always say that defense wins championships. What we do as defenders doesn't always show up on the stat sheet, ​but it's just as important as scoring goals in my opinion,” Baumann said. “It’s exciting to see more people appreciating the importance of our position.” 

For now, Baumann will continue to focus on the upcoming collegiate season while also acknowledging the opportunities she had on the U-19 national team over the past few months. 

“It's the biggest honor and best feeling to be able to represent my country and wear the crest,” Baumann said. “At the college level, I love the bonds that I share with my teammates. It's like a family.”