Wednesday, September 18, 2024
Wisconsin vs Milwaukee Volleyball 4

Wisconsin volleyball sweeps UW-Milwaukee in home opener

The University of Wisconsin-Madison’s volleyball team dominated UW-Milwaukee, winning in three straight sets at home.

The No.8 Wisconsin Badgers volleyball team made a statement in their home opener, sweeping their in-state rivals in straight sets by double figures. The match saw the Badgers improve their record to 3-3 after a challenging road start to the season. 

Wisconsin's offense was firing on all cylinders, outscoring the Panthers 66-25 across the three sets in points. Senior Julia Orzol led with  14 kills and had a career-high hitting percentage of .684, while Devyn Robinson added 13 kills. 

The Badgers also showcased their serving skills with eight aces, including three from the reigning AVCA National Player of the Year, Sarah Franklin.

Freshman setter Charlie Fuerbringer delivered 35 of the team's 48 assists, significantly surpassing the 19 total assists of the entire UW-Milwaukee team. Middle blocker CC Crawford led with six blocks on defense, while freshman libero Lola Schumacher anchored the back row with 16 digs.

Wisconsin started strong in the first set with a 7-2 run, followed by an 8-1 surge to build a commanding 17-4 lead. Although the Panthers fought back, the Badgers closed the set with back-to-back blocks from middle Carter Booth and Robinson. 

The second set mirrored the first, as Wisconsin established a 5-1 lead and won 25-13, thanks to contributions from Robinson, Crawford, and Orzol. The third set was closer, but Orzol's back-to-back kills sparked a decisive 10-2 run to finish the match.

Looking ahead, the Badgers will face Marquette next in the Kohl Center Classic on Tuesday at 7 p.m., airing on the Big Ten Network.