Tuesday, September 17, 2024
WisconsinvSD_Football_9.7.24_Spinney-18.jpg

Wisconsin welcomes the Crimson Tide to Camp Randall

The University of Wisconsin-Madison football team will host its first big test of the season against Alabama at Camp Randall on Saturday.

The University of Wisconsin-Madison will host the no. 4 ranked Alabama Crimson Tide this Saturday in the Badgers' most highly anticipated matchup of the season. This game marks the third meeting between these two storied programs, with the last matchup taking place in 2015. 

This Saturday also marks the final non-conference game before the team starts its Big Ten tour, kicking off at The University of Southern California on Sept. 28. This weekend’s game is also the first of several ranked matchups to come as the Badgers will face no. 11 ranked USC, no. 8 ranked Penn State, no. 9 ranked Oregon and no. 23 ranked Nebraska in the coming weeks.

Alabama enters the game led by Heisman Trophy hopeful Jalen Milroe and new head coach Kalen DeBoer, who is stepping into the shoes of the legendary Nick Saban after his 17-year tenure. Despite being undefeated, the Crimson Tide has not shown the same level of domination so far this year as in previous seasons. Last week, they narrowly escaped with a win against South Florida, only leading by one point after three quarters. 

Like the Badgers, Alabama's biggest strength is its run game, featuring a dynamic duo in Jam Miller and Justice Hayes, with Jalen Milroe also being one of the best running quarterbacks in the league. Additionally, true freshman Ryan Williams, a two-time Gatorade Player of the Year, has made an immediate impact, averaging 34.5 yards per reception and scoring three touchdowns. Wisconsin cornerback Ricardo Hallman will have his hands full trying to contain him this weekend.

On the other side of the ball, the Badgers come into this matchup with a 2-0 record, though their performances have been shaky at best. Wisconsin secured slight victories over Western Michigan and South Dakota, failing to cover the spread in both matchups. 

The Badgers are led by Miami transfer quarterback Tyler Van Dyke, who is looking to establish the "Air Raid," which offensive coordinator Phil Longo has mentioned several times throughout the season and offseason. Wisconsin's offense relies on a strong running game, with running back Chez Mellusi receiving the bulk of the carries, while Cade Yacamelli and Oklahoma transfer Tawee Walker share the remaining reps.

Despite not playing the Crimson Tide since 2015, head coach Luke Fickell coached against them with Cincinnati in the 2021 Cotton Bowl, losing 6-27.

As the game approaches, Alabama enters as 15.5-point favorites, setting the stage for a demanding challenge for the Badgers.

This game is one of a series of non-SEC road games the Crimson Tide has scheduled. They will face off against Big Ten rivals Ohio State in 2027 and Minnesota in 2032.

Kickoff is scheduled for 11 a.m., with Big Noon Kickoff starting at 9 a.m. in front of the Kohl Center. This marks the first time Wisconsin has hosted Big Noon Kickoff since their matchup against Michigan in 2021. The Badgers will travel to Tuscaloosa next year on Sept. 13 to complete the series.